Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In addition to our nice 06 LTZ, and 08 LT-2, we have a 2000 Impala, known as "The POS".

Actually, it has been a good car with only a few issues, like Intake gasket, and trans slip at full throttle, which it has been doing for 100K miles plus, and has almost gone away. The car has 222,000 miles.

It has survived 3 kids, and looks rough. The radio CD player and cassette quit some time ago, and I finally replaced the radio with a junkyard unit, which came up LOCKED.

I got some codes and info with no luck, determining that the RDS radio must be programmed by the dealer.

I'm not sure the logic of someone stealing a factory 5 watt radio required any theft deterrent, but it is what it is.

I paid the $50 at the dealer who whould not do it as courtesy, but they were kind, had some other advice for me on other items, had hot good coffee, and washed the car, so were good, and it works fine.

Was there a way to do this myself I could not figure out?

·
I eat brains... gimme brains!
658 Posts
No, you need the tech 2 for it unfortunatly... I had the same problem, so I tried switching some parts around in the radio to avoid getting it unlocked, but nope

On a side note: are you Elmer J Fudd an hunting "wabbits"? Lol

·
Banned
667 Posts
I'm not sure the logic of someone stealing a factory 5 watt radio required any theft deterrent, but it is what it is.
That is not the point

my dad had a CD player stolen out of his car that broken window was expensive.

Luckily the CDplayer was broken no loss there :giggle:

this was in the late 90s (was a 1995 ford Taurus Wagon GL with selected options) and cd player was a very expensive option. it cost 700-1000 extra for it
my dad ran that car into the ground 275k miles. :eek: it had some major issues with the engine and transmission so it was only worth scrap value.

No, you need the tech 2 for it unfortunatly... I had the same problem, so I tried switching some parts around in the radio to avoid getting it unlocked, but nope
the radio automatically locks up if power is lost for a certain amount of time. While still allowing a battery swap out if necessary. this is why when you get your battery swapped out it does not lock up the system.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
lock code is normaly the last 4 digits of the original vin from the gm car in which it was installed in.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, Love the loony tunes!

Nice that the used radio works the CD and Cassette. I'm listening to tapes I made years ago. Almost worth the service call.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts