Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It ran fine until last week. Actually came back on again a day later and ran for a few more. Then stopped again and my wife wiggled the far right knob (position selector) and got it to work for yet another day. But now-nothing. Any clues? I'm tempted to replace the climate (dual) heater control just because manual manipulation got it going once before.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bought a replacement climate control from a salvage yard but couldn't get the trim panel out without fear of breaking it. Today the thing is running again. Somewhere, I have a faulty connection.

·
Registered
157 Posts
In my 2004, the blower was cutting out on me intermittently. I tried a new blower resistor, new fan, and new switch. All three did not solve my problem. There is an issue with the wiring inside the dash board, but I'm not sure exactly where. Multimeter tests indicated weak/no voltage at the main hot wire going into the blower/blower control module harness under the glovebox.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sound familiar?

My blower motor on the heat/ac/defrost works sometimes, sometimes it stops and if I hit a rough patch in the road it starts working again. I can wiggle the wiring harness that sits just behind and below the battery and it will come on momentarily. I think it's in the wiring harness ,but I have no way of isolating it. Any help would be greatly appreciated .

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
My blower motor on the heat/ac/defrost works sometimes, sometimes it stops and if I hit a rough patch in the road it starts working again. I can wiggle the wiring harness that sits just behind and below the battery and it will come on momentarily. I think it's in the wiring harness ,but I have no way of isolating it. Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Might want to check to see if battery acid ate thru some wires, when you wiggle the wires they conduct and the blower motor works seems to point to that area. Might need to remove battery and tray to check wiring in that area.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced the heater control last night finally and it didn't make any difference. Will check those areas others mentioned above first. I did notice that with all other options turned off and only the fan on, you can barely hear the sound of moving air but it’s the same in all speeds. It only goes off when you turn the fans speed switch off. I can’t say but it sounds much like jrd0304 symptoms with the weak voltage reading that he got.

I'll have to get this figured out by Sunday or take it to the dealership Monday. It’s too dangerous for the wife to not have her defroster working. Especially in all the snow we have here now.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It sounds like we've got similar things going on - I can feel the air moving out of the vents. Without my cig bypass, I'd be SOL, but even then, the cig bypass is not a perfect workaround - it's risky and dangerous since the blower is pulling a lot of amps, and I don't want to leave it in permanently of course. Here's a summary of where I'm at.

* Blower sometimes cuts out all together. Little to no voltage at the red wire going into the blower control module.
* Wiggling a wire behind the fan speed switch turned it back on for a little bit, but this could have been a coincidence.
* No rhyme or reason when it cuts out. I'll be driving and it will just stop blowing. It will die for sometimes a few days, then magically start up again.

Possible fixes for me to try at this point (waiting on parts)
* Ign. Switch
* Add capacitor to blower ctrl. harness

* I also read somewhere to identify the ground wire going into the harness, and add a secondary ground right to the chassis. I have not tried this yet, and probably won't until the two up above prove incorrect. My thought is that if a ground was bad, it would never work, but right now it works for a while, then dies. I'm no electrical expert, either.

Things that didn't fix it for me:
* New fan speed/vent control/climate control switch
* New blower ctrl module
* New blower
* New blower ctrl module harness (5-plug which goes into the blower ctrl module itself)

My ignition switch isn't supposed to arrive until Monday, so I won't have any updates until then. And, even if it does show up, I don't necessarily want to replace it until the blower is inoperative again - I basically have to wait until it dies, apply a fix, and see if it fixes my issue after running it for a couple of weeks. I'll have the dash torn apart ready to throw it in when the time goes. Right now, when it does decide to work, it works perfectly fine for sometimes 3 or 4 days at a clip, then suddenly it will die again. I've been looking around online for other GM's besides Impalas having this issue, since the basic setup is found in other GM's. No one seems to have a good answer to this, the closest thing I could find is replacing the ignition switch, but who knows if that's going to do anything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that link! Though I never thought about mentioning it, my 97 Bonneville SE blower motor has only been able to operate at the 5th speed and this ignition switch fix might be just whats wrong with it! I gave up on trying to figure it out about 5 years ago. (The Bonneville has 275K + miles on it.)

As for the Impala, I put her old heater control back in because the one from the junk yards dual lamp display didnt work. We discussed the non-functional blower problem and decided that we will just be letting the dealership fix this one later this week. My job does not allow me enough time to work on it with only about an hour of daylight by the time I get off work and she needs an operable defroster to drive home safely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a 2001 Impala last week and was having the same problem with the blower. I noticed the blower would cut on and off when i wiggled the key in the ignition switch or turned the key past start when it was running. I figured it had to be the ignition switch from my research.

I bought a switch from Autozone today for $87 plus tax and installed it in about an hour using the instructions from a sticky posted in the DIY section. It was easy to do and solved my problem.:yahoo: The dealer quoted me $373 to replace the switch.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
:eek:k3: Got to love it when a plan works :eek:k3:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read all the above I changed my starter yesterday in my 01impala now my heater seems to have a mind of its own it only worked on speed 5 but now comes on and cuts off since this is a new area of the car for me the heater that is I have never worked on them I have yet to check fueses all tho I don't think that's the problem I believe it's most likely wiering but I'd like any more in put to isolating the issue with out spending an other 200$ any input is good look forward to replay thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Chevy impala and the blowers stay blowing even when the car is off. I have replaced the blower motor resistor 4 times and does same thing a week later. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I have a 2007 Chevy impala and the blowers stay blowing even when the car is off. I have replaced the blower motor resistor 4 times and does same thing a week later. Any suggestions?
the relay in the under hood fuse box is stuck in the on. rap it with a screwdriver handle or replace it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry so long to repost...Finally got the thing fixed. Bad blower resister. I guess the thing clung as long as it could.

Update: Since my original post, my 97 Bonneville died in June of 2013. Took a smooth right turn at a corner and the engine cradle pulled away from where it mounts under the front seat floorboard. I felt two quick hard thumps under me and when I popped the hood I saw my engine was rested against the firewall. Oh yeah, steering it into a parking lot was exciting too. :) A week or two later, my wife bouught a bright red shiny new 2014 Impala 2LTZ and passed the 2000 LS to me. Thanks to all for the input though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
my 7th gen 2003 blower was making a racket, wound up being about 10 acorns dropped inside the fan basket. lowered the motor and saw them through the fan blades. wiggled the motor out enough to empty it and back up it went, good as new. not putting the interior panel cover back gonna wait out the winter into the spring cuz I might have to get back under there and do it again. but gonna put up some small bags of moth balls when we park it again in our storage spot off-site

BTW for any moderator - I started 2 new threads when I 1st had the blower problem. 1 last night & 1 today & now I can't find them. also, they don't show up in my list of subscriptions. so that's why I posted in this old thread

1 - 17 of 17 Posts