Impala Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2000 impala with the 3.8, it has 156k miles and is in very good condition. The problem is that the car sat for a couple years and upon driving it home I noticed it would jerk every once in a while especially if I attempted to accelerate. I got it home and checked all fluids and the previous owner had the coolant overfill tank almost full. I drained that to the proper level and started the car and let it run. After running smoothly for 5 minutes it would almost die before catching again. Then it did finally die, I restarted it and got in the car and while in park I pushed on the gas pedal and at higher rpms it began to jerk repeatedly. After doing this several times I turned the car off and immediately thought it may be bad fuel from sitting so long. I put about 4 gallons in it but that's all. Everything I'm reading is leaning towards that diagnosis however I am not a mechanic. There is also a CE light on but I haven't have the code checked. If it is bad fuel what can I do to remedy the situation? I'm going to take it to a shop anyway to have the fluids changed but I don't want to spend extra money if I don't have to. Any ideas would be helpful..thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
If shop is changing fluids have them do a fuel and probable misfires diagnoses.
Unless you are equipped to do the work/diagnosis, extra money will be well spent.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the fuel has sat for over two years. The car is in amazing condition and I just think it has to be drained, and cleaned and have the plugs replaced..I'm sure the CE is due to misfire..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts