Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2000 Impala that I have had for about 6 years. It has a 3.4 and about 133,0000 miles on it. I have a vibration in the front of the car that only happens when I am on the accelerator and only at speeds of 38 - 50 MPH. If I go slower or faster than that it stops. If I hit the brakes it stops. If I let go of the accelerator (even at those speeds) it stops. I have rotated and balanced all tires twice and eliminated any tire or wheel issues. I had a bad drivers side hub which I replaced but it did not fix the shake. It seems like the warmer the car the worse the problem is. Tie Rods and ball joints all look good. Passenger hub is good. Any other suggestions?

Someone told me it may be rotors (checked and they seem OK - plus the problem stops when I hit the brakes). I'm currently stumped.:bang: Any help would be appreciated.

By the way I do have a check engine light on but it is a 410 (whole other issue) and no other codes but I wouldn't expect this to be an engine issue.

Thanks

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Its probably worn motor and transmission mounts.

Reactions: inclined1

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Welcome! I agree with Scotty, but definitely check them out before blindly replacing. Seems to me, at those speeds it could be hitting a certain harmonic with the engine vibration and road vibration that causes it, any changed to brake or throttle will cause the engine and transmission to rock and therefor cease the vibration. But, thats just a theory...

Reactions: inclined1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - I'll check that out. I see the motor mounts on top and they look fine. Also when I pull on the motor from the top and try to rock it, it seems stable but my strength certainly doesn't compare to engine torque. There should be bottom mounts too correct? Also where are the tranny mounts?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Basically you have one mount on either side behind the wheel, one side is trans, the other is engine. They both need to be addressed though since they are essentially one piece.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Start engine, pop the hood, and rev engine (once warm of course) via the throttle cable on the throttle body. If you don't see large movement your mounts are nothing to worry about. If not it could be fuel, spark, maf, or throttle pos sensor related.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the mounts look OK. I took it to the Chevy dealer and paid the $50 to have them diagnose. They told be I had a bad outer tie rod end and a bad halfshaft on the drivers side (where I also have a new hub). I spent the $60 on parts and replaced both myself (the dealer wanted $600 to fix this!!!) . The vibration is STILL there. Only at the speeds I listed and it's the worst at about 40 MPH. You can see everything in the entire cars shake. It's like a side to side shake.

@ g25racer - If it were fuel, spark, maf, or throttle pos sensor related, wouldn't that show up on a check engine code?

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
was car aligned after parts replaced?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No but it is also not out of alignment. Nor does it feel like an alignment issue. It is speed related and only happens when I am on the accelerator between 38 - 50 MPH.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
checked wheels for wear and balance?

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Can you put car up on jack stands or better lift then run car up to speed, and check for virbrations. Be really careful. Still sound like tire out of round or belt in tire going.
When you find it let us know.
Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did that too on jack stands in my driveway. Seems like it's coming from the left front and it really does seem like a tire issue but I've rotated twice, taken my car in to the tire shop just to double check, had them all balanced - all wheels are straight and all tires are fine. I am really stumped here. I even had a buddy of mine that's a mechanic look and he kept saying the same things - "feels like a tire, have you checked the axle," etc.

:WTF:

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
If the dealer said it was the cv axle and tie rod and you replaced those components, why not head back there and question them about it? It was a poor diagnosis and maybe they will do a second check for free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I actually called them this morning and they are going to "give me" a half hour for free on Friday to re-diagnose.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
cool

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I took it back to the dealer a couple of weeks back and told them I fixed the left halfshaft and the outer tie rod end and that the problem was still there. The looked again at no additional charge and told me that now the right halfshaft was the problem. I was a bit skeptical and bought one at Napa anyway and figured something has to work now that I have replaced half of my front end! I finnaly got around to changing it this past weekend and low and behold - the problem is fixed!!! No more seizures at 40 MPH. My kids even nicknamed my car "the seiz". Thanks for your help all. My next problem is coming soon.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Maybe it was both sides working together? Glad it's fixed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts