Impala Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just got a 2000 Chevy Impala with the 3800 for a winter beater and I’m having issues diagnosing this issue. No engine codes being thrown and I just replaced the fuel filter and verified that my Fuel Pressure Regulator is okay. I can also hear the fuel pump priming and working. When I accelerate, right about 2-3k rpms it starts to backfire like a son of a gun and sound almost like fireworks cutting in and out. Like it’s starving for fuel or getting too much and eventually will stall out if I keep on it. Seems to be doing a little better with the new fuel filter installed but still not right, I even had this thing stall out on me and leave me stranded before the filter was done. Once it stalls a couple times it will not stay running again until I go to fire it up later (usually the next day). Help would be greatly appreciated on this problem, before I go replacing the fuel pump assembly. Fuses and all that were checked as well. Only thing I have not done is pull the injectors and clean them. I wonder if I could get by with running fuel system cleaner through it and see if the problem fades?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm guessing you have more than 200k miles...
Without extensive diagnostics, and assuming original fuel pump...
If it were mine I'd replace it, its due anyway.
(Then again, if you can get a scanner with live data, maybe you can see something even though it doesn't trip a code.)

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
(Then again, if you can get a scanner with live data, maybe you can see something even though it doesn't trip a code.)

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Yes I do have 218k miles. Update now after trying to drive it, no different from before and it stalled out on me can’t get it to drive again. Starts but dies Aftervery little throttle.

·
Registered
2000 Chevrolet Impala model 1WF55
72 Posts
... No engine codes being thrown and I just replaced the fuel filter and verified that my Fuel Pressure Regulator is okay. ...
I agree on the fuel pump.

No engine codes is a puzzler. I find it very unlikely the ECU would not see something wrong and complain. Unless there is something with the ECU\Sensors system as well.

I think @brendanwhitman4 has the right idea to use a scanner with live data.

Maybe give it a good workout with the symptoms showing and check again for codes? And, as mentioned, maybe use a more sophisticated scanner?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to get the new fuel pump and let y’all know what happens. Thank you. Also I was using a very high end scanner from our body shop, we have the top of the line Zeus Snap On scanner. I just gotta learn how to use the damn thing lol. I have never tried viewing live data on it yet

·
Registered
119 Posts
Fuel pressure will look normal at idle, my money is on the pump. Easy change and the access is in the trunk under the liner. You will have to do a wiring change and the replacement pump will have the instructions for this, different plug & connector. Got folding rear seats? Its a little cramped in the trunk but better than dropping the tank.
The high RPM popping and missing is a lean out and replacement of the filter confirmed this, it might not set a random misfire code over 3000 RPM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey everyone, I just got a 2000 Chevy Impala with the 3800 for a winter beater and I’m having issues diagnosing this issue. No engine codes being thrown and I just replaced the fuel filter and verified that my Fuel Pressure Regulator is okay. I can also hear the fuel pump priming and working. When I accelerate, right about 2-3k rpms it starts to backfire like a son of a gun and sound almost like fireworks cutting in and out. Like it’s starving for fuel or getting too much and eventually will stall out if I keep on it. Seems to be doing a little better with the new fuel filter installed but still not right, I even had this thing stall out on me and leave me stranded before the filter was done. Once it stalls a couple times it will not stay running again until I go to fire it up later (usually the next day). Help would be greatly appreciated on this problem, before I go replacing the fuel pump assembly. Fuses and all that were checked as well. Only thing I have not done is pull the injectors and clean them. I wonder if I could get by with running fuel system cleaner through it and see if the problem fades?
Check the plug wires make sure they are in the correct order. Check the vacuum to the EGR valve and the valve. And yes you can run some fule injection and rail cleaner, make sure it is a high nitrogen compound cleaner. Seafoam and the others are a waste of time and money. Chevron makes a good high nitrogen compound cleaner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Backfire is almost always a timing issue. Does it idle rough and continuing through acceleration?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sometimes I try disconnecting different sensors one at a time and seeing how it runs sometimes you can pinpoint it down to one sensor if it's not a fuel delivery problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have you tried cleaning or replacing the Mass Airflow Sensor? The one on my 2002/3800 fell apart when i took it off. After I replaced it the engine ran fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, I agree. Clean the mass airflow sensor. But only use mass airflow sensor cleaner, brake cleaner or carb cleaner will leave a residue. Spray it down really good get all the books and crannies. Let dry a half hour. And reinstall. MAKE SURE that you disconnect the sensor first, you do not want any current running through it. That should help, it can't hurt anything. They do get dirty and should be part of regular maintenance. Make sure clip is on tight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts