Impala Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help bad.
I have oil on one of my spark plugs.
So I got the O ring set and all the other gasket sets, and I've torn down the engine all the way to the part where you can use the tool to take out the rocker bolts, but I STILL don't see where the damn rings go. The tubes still go down and under, so am I supposed to be removing the header things too? I can't find any video of anyone replacing thier rings, and I have the 3 book service manual set, but it's complete garbage. If ANYONE can link me a vid or a step by step on how to replace them, PLEASE PLEASE link me, and I'll even send a cashapp thank you. All this work for one damn ring is driving me to the point where since I have full coverage, I'm about to set it on fire, collect the check, and buy something else.
I love the car though, it still runs amazing and the internals look incredible for a 21 year old car, but DAMN I'm about to lose my mind. Please help 馃ズ馃檹

Registered
Iirc, you can buy the spark plug tube seals separately or they should come with a valve cover gasket set. Again, iirc, once the valve covers are removed, you can access the seals from inside the valve covers.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Iirc, you can buy the spark plug tube seals separately or they should come with a valve cover gasket set. Again, iirc, once the valve covers are removed, you can access the seals from inside the valve covers.
Yes the rings came with the gasket set.
No I don't see where they go under the valve covers.
I've watched videos of other cars and when they flip theirs over the seals are right there. I have no such seals. My valve covers (the small ones front and back right?) are solid.
My intake manifolds I only see the holes for the fuel injectors to go through. Again, I can't find any videos and I can't find it in the books on where they go. I'll just take some pics tomorrow so everyone can see what I'm looking at. I'm probably blind and it's right in front of me, but I can't find anything to show me where so here I am.

Registered
Oil on your spark plugs? Where on the plug, on the electrode tip or where the plug wire goes? Are you replacing piston "rings" or valve guide oil "seals" or the valve cover gasket?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oil on your spark plugs? Where on the plug, on the electrode tip or where the plug wire goes? Are you replacing piston "rings" or valve guide oil "seals" or the valve cover gasket?
On the tip. It was causing a misfire. It was the only plug that had oil. I have the valve cover gaskets, upper and lower intake gaskets, the o-rings for the spark plugs, I have most of the gaskets I thought I'll need since I was going this far in, most things I've seen watched heard talked to say you might as well replace all them since I'm in there. I'll come back and post the name/part number for the o-ring set.

Registered
On the tip. It was causing a misfire. It was the only plug that had oil. I have the valve cover gaskets, upper and lower intake gaskets, the o-rings for the spark plugs, I have most of the gaskets I thought I'll need since I was going this far in, most things I've seen watched heard talked to say you might as well replace all them since I'm in there. I'll come back and post the name/part number for the o-ring set.
Details are important when asking for help. we cannot see what you are seeing. So let me ask in case someone has the same question about your last response. Spark plugs have 2 tips. The ignitor electrode sparky end and the end/tip where the plug wire connects. You were asked a specific question and your answer did not help us because it was not as exacting as the question. Its important because if the ignitor/electrode end is covered in oil you have much bigger problems than you will solve with orings and gaskets. If its the wire connection end, then we know you are on the right track...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Details are important when asking for help. we cannot see what you are seeing. So let me ask in case someone has the same question about your last response. Spark plugs have 2 tips. The ignitor electrode sparky end and the end/tip where the plug wire connects. You were asked a specific question and your answer did not help us because it was not as exacting as the question. Its important because if the ignitor/electrode end is covered in oil you have much bigger problems than you will solve with orings and gaskets. If its the wire connection end, then we know you are on the right track...
I guess it's time to get rid of it then. It's on the sparky tip part. Ive added a few pics to show how far down I've gotten, which is only to the lower intake gasket, but as you can see the plugs still go down underneath further. This is getting to be beyond my skill set, and I'm not about to take out the rods or camshaft or whatever else is under there to try and fix this, I'll just make it worse trying to put all this back together. There's a pic of the rings they said I needed, but I'm assuming they thought I meant maybe some upper part and not the sparky tip, which still seems like I'd have to go even further in to replace so, I don't know. Guess it could be the head gasket, but oil on only 1 plug? And it's been a month or so sitting here and I can't even remember which plug it was, 5 or 6 I believe. It only has 130xxx miles on it, and ran like a champ before this issue, so it's disheartening that I have to give it up over something that seemed so small a problem. If you have any more ideas I would appreciate it, if not then....want to buy an Impala? :p

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess it's time to get rid of it then. It's on the sparky tip part. Ive added a few pics to show how far down I've gotten, which is only to the lower intake gasket, but as you can see the plugs still go down underneath further. This is getting to be beyond my skill set, and I'm not about to take out the rods or camshaft or whatever else is under there to try and fix this, I'll just make it worse trying to put all this back together. There's a pic of the rings they said I needed, but I'm assuming they thought I meant maybe some upper part and not the sparky tip, which still seems like I'd have to go even further in to replace so, I don't know. Guess it could be the head gasket, but oil on only 1 plug? And it's been a month or so sitting here and I can't even remember which plug it was, 5 or 6 I believe. It only has 130xxx miles on it, and ran like a champ before this issue, so it's disheartening that I have to give it up over something that seemed so small a problem. If you have any more ideas I would appreciate it, if not then....want to buy an Impala? :p
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Auto part Art Motor vehicle Hood Engineering Automotive tire City Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Screw Gas Motor vehicle Auto part Screw Gas Automotive exterior Food Font Plastic wrap Comfort food Transparency Material property Automotive tire Body jewelry Electric blue Art

Registered
Those look like valve stem oil seals. They go inside the valve springs. When you unstack the valve springs have air pressure in the cylinder and both valves closed or you will drop the valve. According to RockAuto your part # should be MAHLE SS45905 for 2000 3.4 Impala for valve stem seal.
Do your research before installing them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those look like valve stem oil seals. They go inside the valve springs. When you unstack the valve springs have air pressure in the cylinder and both valves closed or you will drop the valve. According to RockAuto your part # should be MAHLE SS45905 for 2000 3.4 Impala for valve stem seal.
Do your research before installing them.
Yuck. I watched a video on another car. That means taking off the cam and Messing with the timing belt and etc etc etc. Again, that's a tad bit beyond my skill set. I looked up the symptoms of bad valve stem seals, and I didn't really have any of them. No smoke, barely burned any oil in between my religeous 3k oil changes, the only problem I had was it went into limp mode when the misfire starts. I see where it says bad seals can burp the oil up onto the spark plug, but it says ashes not oil, unless maybe I just never let it run enough to burn off to ash or start to cause any of the other symptoms. Do you think that's what it could be? And IF, big if, I decide to try and fix it myself, do you think that's the cause of oil on the electrode? And I should replace all of them right, not just the one that's bad?
Anybody know any good mobile Mechanics in Atlanta/surrounding areas?

Registered
The cam and timing chain stay. You remove the rocker arms then remove the valve springs. You have cam in block not overhead cam. Consult your 3 book service manual set.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts