Impala Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Will give it a try tomorrow. I plan on taking all the trim off to route my 4ga wire better. I am also going to take my front seats out to clean the rail system and paint them.
GOOD LUCK :eek:k3: it shouldn't take too long to do. I done mine in about an hour at work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very very useful and helpful info! I already have done the head unit & rear deck speakers.... Wish I would have seen this earlier it would have made my struggle far less difficult. But at least I know now not to try the front door speakers without taking the panel off as I am also right handed! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey guys I'm doing the front speakers I know it requires 6.5s...My question is what's the max watt I could use?.I'm still using the factory amp. I also read that I have to cut the wire to the tweeters in order to remove the factory speakers..Will I be able to mend them back again without a problem and use them with the new ones? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would always suggest waiting until you're able to replace the head unit and upgrade all the wires as well. The wire upgrade will be a significant improvement, almost a necessity if you want it to be more worth your money. The dash isn't anything difficult to get off, I did mine in 0 degrees (and it still didn't break, though it was a struggle!) [watched it on YouTube, made it far easier to do myself]
The factory head unit can push an avg of 15-50watts per speaker, you can go on the internet and find 400watt (bout 150 rms/nominal) for like 50 bucks (I bout Pyles and theirs doin great)
That's just my two cents! Idk about crimping the old tweeter wires personally but I've heard of many people doing so! Good luck!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Hey guys I'm doing the front speakers I know it requires 6.5s...My question is what's the max watt I could use?.I'm still using the factory amp. I also read that I have to cut the wire to the tweeters in order to remove the factory speakers..Will I be able to mend them back again without a problem and use them with the new ones? Thanks
You don't have to cut the tweeter wiring, however you will be severely disappointed with new speakers and factory amp running them. Iirc the factory amp is like 17watt and runs 2ohm speakers. Unless you search for 2ohm speakers, the 4ohm 6.5s you replace them with will be around 8-9 watts each and not sound too great at all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok. I replaced all 4 speakers. I have a new head unit as well, i didn't install it yet. I want to relocate the factory radio to the trunk...how do u route the relocate wire? Do i still have to buy the piece to keep the steering controls or does everything remain the same? It's non onstar btw.

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
There is a harness that allows you to run the wires to the trunk for the factory radio. I know it's a metra harness, but I don't remember the part number.

It works well, but if you want to keep your steering wheel controls, you'll need the steering wheel control retention interface, which is another $50+

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Actually it's

Scosche GM06B 2000-Up GM radio T-Harness

·
Registered
31 Posts
there is a harness that allows you to run the wires to the trunk for the factory radio. I know it's a metra harness, but i don't remember the part number.

It works well, but if you want to keep your steering wheel controls, you'll need the steering wheel control retention interface, which is another $50+
what's the steering controls manufacture is it scosche? Whats the model number?

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
There are a couple different manufacturers and versions. I haven't used any of them before.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts