Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. New member here. I am looking to buy an eighth gen. impala with a 3.8 engine. I heard those engine have few problems and are mostly reliable. I had a few accords and they were very reliable, but I want to buy an Impala. I always loved Chevy and impalas looked great to me. I was wondering which year is the most reliable and can I purchase a good impala with $3,000? That is my limit on how much I can spend. Thanks guys! :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hey guys. New member here. I am looking to buy an eighth gen. impala with a 3.8 engine. I heard those engine have few problems and are mostly reliable. I had a few accords and they were very reliable, but I want to buy an Impala. I always loved Chevy and impalas looked great to me. I was wondering which year is the most reliable and can I purchase a good impala with $3,000? That is my limit on how much I can spend. Thanks guys! :)
Just an fyi, they are considered 7th gen here on the forum. The 8th Gen are the 2006-2013 (2014-2016 limited). I havent had a 7th gen myself, so can't speak to the reliability. Lots of info of common issues and reviews on this forum though. I would think you could get a decent one for $3000. You would may even be able to get an 8th gen in that price range in decent shape.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a 2002 LS for about 5 years. Bought it with 121,000 for 2k. Sold it at 172,000 for 800. This is what I replaced while I owned it.

Catalytic Converter
Water Pump
MAP sensor
Rear Passenger Hub (Bearing)
Fuel Level Sensor
Tires
Spark Plugs and Wires.
Also had a BCM issuse that killed the battery. Instead of replacing the BCM I just pulled the BCM fuse while parked for long periods of time.

I guess I'll be honest it had issues but I loved the car. Very smooth drive. I'm 6'2 240 pounds so for a big guy it was a great fit. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know this is an old post but I had to chime in lol...
I have an 02 base impala and its been fantastic... I was shopping around for a 06+ impala and found this one being traded in at a local lot by a rather old woman. she'd bought it in 02 as a retirement gift to herself and after bringing it in for new tires she decided to test drive a new car and ended up buying it.
I bought her impala w new tires and it was super clean for the year, it had 32,000 miles on it (showing that it had been driven about 1500 miles a year!).
I wasnt a fan of the over all look of the car (so ive been working on altering things, ss tail lights and spoiler etc) but the mileage was so good I couldnt pass it up. (and I got it for CHEAP, 2000 bucks.)
Ive owned it a bit over a year now, its pushing high 60,000 mileage and it has not given me any fits what so ever. Its been a great little car and as a big guy (5'8" and 300lbs) I was surprised how comfortable it is.
Its basically like any other car, if you buy one thats been taken care of it'll last you and if you buy one thats obviously been treated poorly its going to nickle and dime ya.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts