Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying an '01 Impala - has 109k on 3.4 engine. A/C only works on high, pulls to the right slightly and has some rust in certain areas. Dealer is asking $5995, I will probably offer $4500 and my car as a trade (my car only worth $300 tops). I will also ask them to correct the issue with the A/C and the pulling. I am getting nervous about all the electrical issues I am reading about w/ these cars. I test drove it and it ran and drove great, so that is why I am considering it. BUT, the rust also worries me, my b/f is a mechanic and he says that the rust isnt a huge deal, but could be in the near future as it gets worse and also, he said he cannot work on electrical problems, so that could end up costing $$. So, any Impala owners who can advise me on what to watch our for with the '01? I really like the car, but dont want it to be a money pit either. Would it be dependable? I;ve heard it could have problems starting too. Anyone NOT have problems with theirs? Thanks...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
terrible deal...no way should you pay that much for a car 7 years old with THAT MANY MILES ON IT!

chevy does make good cars, and my mother has an impala that has been working great since we got it. i just think you'd be getting ripped of paying that much for that car. i'd suggest not buying it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
too, much money. i have a 2005 impala w/ 18,000 mi. in good cond. new front suspension, blue book 10,000, dealer offered 8,000. i owe 14,000

·
Registered
19 Posts
i owned an 04 3.4L

There great cars but there is an issue with startin the vechical not reaccuring but @ random times.I also had problems after I had an aftermarket alarm install,with the check engine light coming on not the little motor light @ bottom right corner but the light right aboe it where it read door open and security and sooo forth.but I would invest in a newer model,I've had my 08 ss impala for over a year...no problems with da new model,but could use a lil more horse power to the wheels....

·
Registered
657 Posts
what makes the 3400 so problematic compared to the 3800? the biggest problem i would see is the LIM gaskets, which both have, the 3400 are just a little harder to do. im not saying the 3400 is superior by any means, because its not. i would def find one with a 3800 simply because its a stronger engine with more potential.

back to the OP: dont buy that car. that is way too much. you can find an impala with a 3800 for cheaper with less miles. and for what its worth, i have a 2000 impala with the 3400 and the only issue i have had that wasnt self inflicted was the lower intake manifold gaskets. i changed those myself for about $200. and dont believe everything you read. always remember that there are a lot of idiots on the internet who post things that they dont look into and just complain how they bought a lemon because their car ran out of gas. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
187 Posts
i got my 2000 3.4 base with 71k on the clock from the dealer for 4700 in december... no problems, no rust, no weathering it was mint so there is no way you should pay more than like 4k for that

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking at buying an '01 Impala - has 109k on 3.4 engine. A/C only works on high, pulls to the right slightly and has some rust in certain areas. Dealer is asking $5995, I will probably offer $4500 and my car as a trade (my car only worth $300 tops). I will also ask them to correct the issue with the A/C and the pulling. I am getting nervous about all the electrical issues I am reading about w/ these cars. I test drove it and it ran and drove great, so that is why I am considering it. BUT, the rust also worries me, my b/f is a mechanic and he says that the rust isnt a huge deal, but could be in the near future as it gets worse and also, he said he cannot work on electrical problems, so that could end up costing $$. So, any Impala owners who can advise me on what to watch our for with the '01? I really like the car, but dont want it to be a money pit either. Would it be dependable? I;ve heard it could have problems starting too. Anyone NOT have problems with theirs? Thanks...
thats a ripoff i think. i have a 2001 3400 or 3.4 impala. and i cant even sell it for 2 k. lol. it seems like this model has the same problem across the board. electrical problems seem to stem from tired connectors, motor mounts went out at 100k and the cv halfshat on the passenger side is out too. also the ignition switch has been replaced, and is messing up again. also a/c problems stem from the electrical problems stated earler with the connector on the enging coolant sensor. oh yeah not the mention the harmonic balancer...... damn near killed it. with an overheat when it went out. oh yeah lol. for some reason the rear right passenger door loses the outside door handle. dont ask me why but ive seen it often!! its so funny. but on the bright side. everything broke down at once and it wasnt terribly expensive to repair if you have diy experience. pretty simple machine and i worked on it with minimal tools. except the puller for the harmonic balancer. i know it seems problematic but its my girlfriends car and she didnt maintain it at all! for the abuse she gave it i think its hanging tough! the engine is strong and so is the tranny. great car if maintenance would have been kept up. been working on it two months. the car has been running with all those problems for a year straight! surprized me that it still ran! almost on the homestretch with the cv shaft. if that doesnt work i'm gonna burn it.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts