Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I see the stock LTZ has 245/45/20 tire size and I'm assuming going to a 255/50/20 isn't any big issue correct? I will correct the tire diameter in the PCM but I'm trying to run a 20in. wheel with a taller tire for a better ride and fill up the wheel well a litte vs. running something rubber band sized. Thanks for any help/comments!

Reactions: Radiochris

·
Registered
484 Posts
So, I see the stock LTZ has 245/45/20 tire size and I'm assuming going to a 255/50/20 isn't any big issue correct? I will correct the tire diameter in the PCM but I'm trying to run a 20in. wheel with a taller tire for a better ride and fill up the wheel well a litte vs. running something rubber band sized. Thanks for any help/comments!
I'm interested in knowing also. The front shocks are very close to the wheel already and can't imagine squeezing much more in there without it rubbing. Let us know if you try it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm interested in knowing also. The front shocks are very close to the wheel already and can't imagine squeezing much more in there without it rubbing. Let us know if you try it.
Yeah, I haven't gotten under it and taken any measurements yet. 255 tires also vary in width depending on wheel width also. I'm more concerned with getting as much sidewall on the tire than the width but I want to max both.

·
Registered
25 Posts
20s?? Ok, I need to research. My "16 LTZ has 19s. I didn't know a trim came with 20s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
484 Posts
20s?? Ok, I need to research. My "16 LTZ has 19s. I didn't know a trim came with 20s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah 20's are an option (part of another package) but tirerack list size as 245/40-20. I would love to know if 245/45 would fit without rubbing. Someday someone will try it out and let us know.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's unfortunate that they feel the need to put larger wheels on these cars. The tires cost more, but even worse, the ride quality really suffers from it. I hate that wheels keep getting bigger and bigger. They really don't improve the look any, just hurt the ride. :(

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I've never understood the fascination with bigger wheels myself. I agree it doesn't help the looks any, and sometimes it ruins the looks with big wheels.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well enough people put big rims on cars that there must be something to it..idk usually when people start doing stuff to cars or dressing weird to me it's because I'm getting old..big rims look badass

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Just because a lot of people do something doesn't mean it is good. Think of the movie Titanic, lots of people went to it. I was dragged to it and I kept falling asleep. It sucked bad like ass you could say.

·
Registered
197 Posts
All depends on what you value in your personal preferences. If someone is all about unique looks and doesn't care about drive-ability or durability when hitting a pothole, then throw 22 inch rims with nearly no sidewall on the tires for all I care. Personally, I prefer comfort and reduced pothole risk over looks, so I would drop my 17s down to 16s for the extra cushion if I had the money.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Just because you dont like something doesnt mean it's bad either.
Of course it means it's bad to me if I don't like something. It wouldn't make any sense if I thought something was good but I didn't like it.
That's how opinions work.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Yes. I can only speak for myself and what I like or dislike. If I don't like something it is bad to me. If I do like something it is good. Pretty much common sense but it seems to be lacking nowadays so I'll forgive you if it is confusing.

Maybe a little analogy would help.
Say 30 people are sitting around eating elephant dung and they love it. Does that mean I think it is good because 30 people love it? No. I would think it is bad. Should I change my view and partake of the dung because they love it? No. I think it is bad no matter what they love because I have my own strong opinions.
Now if you are wishy washy in your opinions you may taste the elephant dung but then you would be full of crap.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
No contradiction here but I sense a lack of common sense in you sir. At least you're having fun though I guess and that's always good (in my opinion of course).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can't see any way 255-50-20s could fit. They're 1.3 inches taller and two fifths of an inch wider. My 2018 has the 245-45-20s and the clearance from the top of the tire to the strut above it is 3/8" at most. Since the strut is located over the tire as well as beside it, the 255-50-20s will hit it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you ever have trouble with your 245-45-20's rubbing anywhere? Looking for just a little more comfort than stock. What brand do you have

·
Registered
338 Posts
The size on my 2015 LTZ is 245-40-20. I switched to Pirelli Cinturato tires @ 35K miles. They are less noisy, and somewhat smoother, but their quality control is for crap. It took 7 tires to get 4 good ones over the course of a bout a month. The factory where these are made is in Mexico.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's unfortunate that they feel the need to put larger wheels on these cars. The tires cost more, but even worse, the ride quality really suffers from it. I hate that wheels keep getting bigger and bigger. They really don't improve the look any, just hurt the ride. :(
they would be fine--in fact better...but they keep making sidewall shorter,,,killing ride (but increase performance)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts