Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title sums it up my oil smells like 2 stroke mix and not just a hint of it like knock your socks off 32 or 50 to 1 smelling mix.

And my mpg sucks balls compared to most other people i mean i drive hard but normalish driving around town at like 13mpg and 18mpg on highway. According to the good old computer

Uhh i use synthetic 5w30 and k&n oil filters
Change oil every 3-4k
No out of ordinary engine noises
Maybe a little decrease in performance (hp)
Dont really see any leaks i pressure wash the engine and engine bay once a week to 2 weeks
No smoke out the exhaust pipe

(im not here to argue or justify the use of synthetic oil or k&n oil filters but if it could be the problem let me know)

Anyone know what it could be?
Thanks you guys are the best!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
2 possibilities come to mind, 1 is the fuel pump could be overpressurizing and forcing gas into the oil. 2 is your head gaskets.

What it boils down to is, if the oil smells like it has fuel in it, it probably does. That is going to be extremely hard on bearings, so at the very least you'll want to change it ASAP. Synthetic oil or K&N filter are not the cause, nor could anyone ever logically justify any way they could be. My only beefs with those are, synthetic oil is completely unnecessary in non-racing applications, and K&N filters only flow better by filtering less. Neither of those can be the issue you are having.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How hard is the headgaskets on these things king? That what i was thinking it was and i might as well change it cause it makes the most sense as to what would cause it.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it would cause coolant idk about fuel but i have found hopefully good news.

which gasket is leaking here?

also i am losing coolant go figure

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also it is leaking in the same place all the way around the damn motor so whatever that is upper intake head gasket whatever is blown out all the way around the motor

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
last time i blew a head gasket was on my supra and i dont remember the coolant and oil mixed smelling like this? all i remember was spark plugs 3,4,5,6 sitting in coolant and the thing bogging around sounding like a worked subaru.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
That's a head gasket location. However! A wet look is often seepage over time for the average person. If you clean it as often as you say it's likely leaking.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i pressure wash the thing often its definitely a big leak not just seepage.

fml i got a trans slipping nuts sack and a blown head gasket and i still think either a injector is sticking of something cause there is def. gas in that oil along with coolant proably. F*ck i hate this car. i had less problems with a 30+psi jap motor.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Me either i guess thats what you get for buying american.

whatever, but this is definitly the head gasket right guys?

When i do the head gasket im gonna pull the fuel rails and cycle the car and make sure they arent sticking at all and replace the o rings on them i dont really know whatelse to do.

A bad cam position sensor could cause this also but i dont have any check engine codes other than crank position sensor from my new computer from overkill which i never got that relearned can that be causing this? i doubt it but maybe someone knows something about it that i don't?

But the oil doesnt appear to be milky or have milky ring on the cap, no fluid coming out the exhaust, no sweet smell, no smoke, heat doesnt smell sweet, no red tint on the spark plugs.

but i am losing coolant about a quart over 3 weeks but i did fill the overflow way up for winter to work out any and all air and get really good heat in the thing so maybe the overflow overflowed and thats where it went if that is possible.

i guess i am just brainstorming here feel free to pick my brain guys.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We were still using pushrods up till 2011 come on now but serious guys i dont wanna argue about dumb stuff that was my fault for bringing it up i was just venting a little bit. id like to stay on topic.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i said it in the beginning this was gonna happen and sure enough at 92k the motors starting to go.

Right after headgaskets go its always one thing after another.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The good news is if its not just the headgasket to solve the problem and something is warped or shot in the motor (which i highly doubt) its getting procharged or turbo'd and manual swapped. so that would be an interesting project.

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
Psh dream big man put a ls9 and six speed rwd with a popcorn maker and a sewing machine lol what platform would you use for the motor/manual.swap?

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Either this motor bored and stroked out to a 4.0l with a remote twin turbo setup or a pro charger.

Or a 3800 with a turbo or a ported supercharger.

Accomplished quiet easy as far as swaps go iv done harder. Dont know why it compares to a ls9 and rwd.
All id be looking for is 350hp to the front wheels

Plus i got my 98 lincoln markviii to drive around till i fix the impala. 400hp worth of ford ponies:devil:

·
Premium Member
18,508 Posts
Me either i guess thats what you get for buying american.

whatever, but this is definitly the head gasket right guys?

When i do the head gasket im gonna pull the fuel rails and cycle the car and make sure they arent sticking at all and replace the o rings on them i dont really know whatelse to do.

A bad cam position sensor could cause this also but i dont have any check engine codes other than crank position sensor from my new computer from overkill which i never got that relearned can that be causing this? i doubt it but maybe someone knows something about it that i don't?

But the oil doesnt appear to be milky or have milky ring on the cap, no fluid coming out the exhaust, no sweet smell, no smoke, heat doesnt smell sweet, no red tint on the spark plugs.

but i am losing coolant about a quart over 3 weeks but i did fill the overflow way up for winter to work out any and all air and get really good heat in the thing so maybe the overflow overflowed and thats where it went if that is possible.

i guess i am just brainstorming here feel free to pick my brain guys.

My ex's minivan was losing antifreeze too. It wasn't a lot, and there was no sign of its leaking or burning. We had the intake gasket fixed and that cured it. I know its a different engine, and different year, but the symptom is the same....?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts