Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy at work says he would blow my doors off.

I looked up specs.

His 09 5.7L Hemi Reg Cab 4x4 has a 0-60 of 5.7 seconds and 14.4 on the 1/4 mile.

Am I correct my 09 SS will do 5.6 seconds and 14.0 on 1/4 mile?

Is there a major factor that would make 1 blow the others doors off?

He weighs in at 4777 and I am at 3700?

Just curious on your input.

I know I can't really touch a Challenger R/T or Charger R/T... but maybe I can take him. I don't I am curious. It's been 10 years since I've dragged a car on a wide back road. :idea:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The biggest factor here is going to be driver, those are very evenly matched, it could go either way. Unless of course he has modified his truck.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Your weight is distributed better (and lighter) than a truck. With stock tires and options there is no reason a 5.3 pulling 700 less pounds can't take a 350.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm with king on this one... It comes down to the drivers.... That half a sec off and it could go the other way... :eek:k3:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I thought the SS could walk a Charger RT but the Challenger is def. a no go, though I had my run ins with them.

This is what I'll say about the Ram... I had an encounter with a 5.7L Tundra (they're supposed to have 0-60 times of 6 1/2 seconds and a 1/4 around 15 mark).

It was weird because we're both turning into the on ramp, but it was from a dig. Light turns green and he jumps me, but through the turn I keep up and down the on-ramp we're both WOT and I'm walking him. It wasn't an impressive pull but I was walking him.

IMO, your best bet would be from a dig. If you guys go from a roll, chances are you'll suffer from tranny lag. Its the SS' biggest problem IMO, it just depends on what the computers think is a safe downshift. This leads to a lot of loss videos on Youtube.

I've had some passes on the highway that were embarrassingly slow because the trans simply doesn't downshift enough but I always drive with TC on. I've heard that if you disable TC and Stabilitrak, you'd get better downshifts.

·
Super Moderator
10,793 Posts
make sure your gas tank is at 1/4 or less for some more weight advantage:idea:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I've had some passes on the highway that were embarrassingly slow because the trans simply doesn't downshift enough but I always drive with TC on. I've heard that if you disable TC and Stabilitrak, you'd get better downshifts.
You have to cut off traction control if you are going to race. :eek:k3:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We both have less than a month old new factory stock tires on our vehicles. He says he's going to put his truck in 4WD to get an advantage off the start.

We'd do a rolling 15-20 mph start and then a dead start because of the traction questions we both are bickering over.

And as for the Chargers and Challengers with Hemi's... pending the year, suspension, gears etc. All the times I have looked up they got me believing I'd be a sitting duck, especially off the start... and any SRT 6.1L or 6.4L is just too far out of an Impala's league.

·
Registered
48 Posts
One crazy thing for me, i race in 2nd, feels alil better to me, might be worst on your tranny though lol. But ive been walking some 300c's and stock RT chargers on the freeway and streets. once you hit 100 to 105, put it into 3rd. and have traction control off.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
If he wants to race in 4wd, let him. You'll spank his ass.

·
Registered
35 Posts
One crazy thing for me, i race in 2nd, feels alil better to me, might be worst on your tranny though lol. But ive been walking some 300c's and stock RT chargers on the freeway and streets. once you hit 100 to 105, put it into 3rd. and have traction control off.
Well, even if you do put it in second it will still start in 1st but it won't upshift past 2nd unless the rpms are too high. You still get wheel spin and torque steer.

Dave N said:
You have to cut off traction control if you are going to race. :eek:k3:
:oops:

What ever happened to the race?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
You got the weight advantage, but you also have a weaker tranny and FWD. That race would be won/lost at the launch.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
If our 8th generation Impalas were RWD like your B-body, it wouldn't even be much of battle. Damn Chevy!

·
Registered
70 Posts
First off, Challengers, 300C's, and Chargers are pretty much the same. Sometimes a Challenger might have a little better gears in the rear than the 4 doors, but it depends on the car. I don't think any near stock Impalla is going to beat a late model hemi car.

As far as a truck, I owned a 2007 hemi powered Dodge Ram, 4x4, Quad Cab. It wasn't slow, but they are very heavy. He can stick it in 4 wheel drive, but that isn't going to do a lot for him. It would be a good race, like others have said, probably comes down to the launch.

·
Designated Driver
4,516 Posts
Whenever this goes down:
Make sure someone is videoing it from inside one of the vehicles, and post it on youtube...

OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN... :eek:k3:

·
Registered
545 Posts
also remember that times posted by publications are the average, also its all computer corrected to perfect everthing, altitude, air temp etc etc..

If you do spinn out of the hole i see no problem, around here the all might viper trucks usually dont do low 14's 1/4 mile..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts