Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a very nice and clean looking 1966 Impala SS locally with 80k miles. I really like the fuel mileage of my 2004, but the 1996 is such a nice looking car... i'm getting a detailing job done on my car next week and will be trying to get that 1996 SS, but I was wondering if there's anything I should look out for on that car. I hear a bad optispark will miss at high rpm, I should look for leaky seals in the rear axle, and to see if the water pump looks like it could be leaky. what else? I'm really hoping my credit isn't bad enough to keep me away from this car...

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Double check its a real SS by looking for the wx3 code in the trunk I believe.
X10000 on making sure it is an SS if you are paying SS money. I have seen some unbelievably convincing fakes with the SS (and the Buick GN for that matter).

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
IMO, one should never pay an "ss price" since it's just a caprice with a trim package. About the optispark, they don't have even 10% of the problems people blame them for, unless its been swapped out for an aftermarket, it will probably be ok.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
I would be wary of a 16+yo car if you are at all worried about your credit and seem like a mechanical novice.

On a car this old low miles means lots of sitting and or lots of very short trips both of which are hard on a vehicle.

Honestly if you need a loan I would either worry about your financial ability to handle sudden repairs or the initial purchase price being unreasonable. People often ask WAY too much for the 94-96 Impalas

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm also somewhat concerned it's sat a long time and something could've gotten a little messed up. I'll go over it to the best of my abilities, I assure you. I'm not too worried about doing work to it. If something did go wrong with it, I don't think there's anything outside of the engine I can't fix. No pro, but I've been fixing my own stuff for years now... And, yes, my credit isn't the best, but that doesn't mean I don't have some money at my disposal for things. I have an 08 Sable at my disposal, if needed, so if something did require some time for repairs, I'm by no means without transportation.

I'm not going to get myself into trouble if something on it just doesn't seem right, but I'll admit I'm wanting this thing pretty bad. I'm just hoping that doesn't severely cloud my judgement...

Where is this tag located in trunk? I've tried to find specifics and I'm not finding much. Trunk lid?

Thanks again for the honest input! Much appreciated!

·
Registered
624 Posts
should be a white sticker on the t/lid u cant miss it. if not there id wonder if its been hit and the lid was replaced.also if there check vin # with the one on the dash.theres sites that give u the break down what all those codes are wx3 like mention should b there,can run the vin # chevy dealers. id take it for a spin make sure the tranny shifts ok,and put it through its paces : ), few good burn outs to make sure the posi is working etc,make a brake test or to (sometimes the rear brakes freeze up over time from sitting,)always good to have a 2nd car just in case,i had a chance to p/u a ss for cheap but had to go through it totally bumper to bumper didnt have the time and the wife gave me that look...:( man still wished i grab it keep us posted

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I got it.
Dealer put new tires on it and I had to pay for the alignment.
Spent all of yesterday fixing the stereo.
Kinda nice having the amp and all the wiring already installed for you!

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Congrats on the Tri-9! We need pics. You know this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts