Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone willing to offer any tips or clues to a guy replacing an optispark for the first time? Whole new unit or just the cap? Any brand to avoid?

I've done some looking around here and some other sites and the process seems pretty straight forward. I'm also going to replace the plugs and water pump at the same time.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
What's wrong with it?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
If it ain't broke don't eff with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one currently in the car is shot. It is pushing 150k on the clock and this will be number two according to the previous owner.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Saying it's "shot" doesn't tell us the issue, you're asking whether you should replace just the cap and rotor or the whole unit, we need symptoms and WHY you think it's shot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mechanic took a look at the car for me and said it needed the unit replaced. I know/trust the current owner and mechanic. I've known them both for 15+ years.

I usually work on old Mopars, except for my 90 Caprice 9c1. The LT-1 is a whole different animal to me and I figure I better get used to working on it since I'm going to use the 96 as a driver.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Then I don't understand why you were asking if you should just replace the cap or the whole thing. But brands to avoid, MSD is a big one. Best bet is to go stock, they are the best. Not cheap, but neither are any of the half decent aftermarkets. Expect to pay around $600.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts