Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 members in my family that owns these vehicles. One owns a 96 SS and the other a 94 T/A with six speed. Both have been doing heavy trash talking for about a month, which has led to a challenge between the two at our local track. I have made my endorsement for the SS to win the race but i wanted to see a poll for you guys. Here are the specs:

SS: Stock 3.08 gears, 52 mm throttle body with air foil, Cold air intake, Generation II Tri-Y headers, full flowmaster exhaust with H pipe, Lowered, PCM tune, MSD 8.5 mm wires, TB bypass, and a babied 115xxx mile LT1.

Trans Am: Stock LT1, 6 Speed with 3.42 gears, tune up, true duals with Flowmaster 10 series out back. All else Stock including PCM

I have bet on the SS owner. As long as he can get a good take off, or if he is second off the line and can run down the T/A shortly after, i believe he wins this race by 0.5 to 1.5 car lengths if not more. The lack of gears IMO is made up for with the headers and his full exhaust system.

Mechanically for the trans am, dude has a 6 speed with standard 3.42 gears that could possibly work in his favor via take off. I think his ego will cost him, plus the abilities to work the 6 speed and his inexperience with racing one, this doesnt look promising for the fella.

·
The F*** Killer
1,592 Posts
It also depends on the drivers skills, weights, and reaction time, plus the cars weight.

·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SS with the owner inside is around 4450 lbs

Trans Am with owner about 3500 lbs

·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im looking at the SS to put out some wicked torque though to make up the weight differences.

·
The F*** Killer
1,592 Posts
Damn almost 1k LB that's a big difference in weight but i'll go for SS cause I believe in the SS, LOL.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Oh man... this one is tough. I'd have to go with the TA, except you said the guy doesn't have experience racing with a Manual. You said it is a six speed though and is a lot lighter. If he can make the shifts the T/A has my vote.

Please note that I hope I am wrong.

·
Divine Autosound
2,168 Posts
I have to go with the trans am, as much as I hate to. That's a huge weight difference. It will be a good race though.

·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, i cant say im suprised to see a 3-2 vote trans am over the SS. I cant wait for this race to happen.

·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another spec for the trans am being Stock is its only rated at 275 hp compared to a Stock SS at 260. Mind you the SS owner has got at least 50+ hp added on his car via mods. You guys still think the Trans Am is gonna take the win??? As long as my SS guy can stay focused, i really believe he gets the job done easily...

·
Registered
160 Posts
i would make each driver race each car once....
if it's side by side that's a total of 2 races...

94 motor, it has more HP less or same TQ; F-body cam vs. b-body cam....not to mention weight advantage.

would be awesome braggin rights for the SS owner, if he came out on top.

let us know how it turns out.
-ALF out....

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Based on the guy with the T/A has no experiance racing and his car is literally dead stock, I'd give the win to the Imp. That's what's nice about automatics, just so long as you get a good launch, you don't really need to think about shifting. Keep your foot hard on the pedal. Son, never mind them brakes. Let it all hang out 'cause we got a run to make.

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
I like the side by side idea, but it will never work. Ya think the guy who owns the TA and is driving the SS in the second race is really going to try his hardest to win? And vice versa?

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Crime Scene, can you video it for us? I want to see this, no matter the outcome.

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
SS will win eventually, if it doesn't right away. It's hard to launch a manual car in the first place, especially someone who doesn't have experience with it before. If he launches at too high an RPM the SS will get an off the line gap that's too long to catch up from for a STOCK T/A. If it's too low it might bog a little but will be closer. Hopefully we'll see the results soon :eek:k3:

MY VOTE: SS all the way.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
I agree, the race will be won or lost on the launch... for either car.

·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes this will be taped! Negotiations on a date is still being decided.

·
Registered
53 Posts
With equal ability drivers, the Pontiac has a lot less weight,a much more aerodynamic body shape, and probably close to the same horsepower as the SS. If both were stock, no contest, Pontiac would take it with mid-low 14s vs mid 15s for the Chevy.

·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
did this happen??? been a while. having owned a 95 formula with a six speed IF he can drive TA wins.

No it never happened. Sadly the T/A was sold. I really liked that car too, wouldve been an epic race. On the bright side though, T/A replacement ended up being a 95 Imp SS, and was said to be getting a T56 manual swapped in. Not sure on the progress because i havent talked to anybody much if at all in the last few months.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts