Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this is what I told you guys last time

I have a 1996 impala which has a supercharger 4.5psi. My car has been leaking very small amount of oil from the oil pan gasket for a long time and so i got tired of it. I took it to the shop 2 weeks ago and they said it was the oil pan gasket so i told them to replace it and so they did. After i got it back i drove it on the freeway and came back home and looked underneath and it was leaking again.Took it back and it was the oil pan gasket again so they replace it and i took it home and it leaked again. Then i took it back again and it was the same thing so the shop did some diagnosing and told me that their was too much pressuer in the oil pan and i need a breather. I have never heard that so thats why i am asking can it be the pressure or is it something else. please let me what you guys think thanks

now the shop is saying putting a breather will not work sufficiently with my car so they still have it and trying to solve the problem and i am too because i want my car back so any help or suggestion will really thankful

thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Find another shop. Diagnosing the root cause of a failure is part of the repair. Anyone worth their salt would have done some figuring and determined the crankcase pressure issue before they replaced the oil pan gasket (for free) the second time. 4.5 psi is NOT a lot of pressure, even if you are losing HALF of the boost into the crankcase, it would likely not cause a leak that quickly. The engine is not likely all that well sealed at any rate, I'm sure you are getting crankcase ventilation from the stock breather, oil filler cap, etc. Change the PCV valve also, and do a crankcase pressure test. If it's causing the pan to leak this quickly - you will likely be able to see it with a standard pressure gauge. Anything minor will likely require the use of a water monometer. As I said before, you might be better suited going to a garage that is a little more experienced in performance applications in your area.

TRY a breather and see how it works. I'm sure this will HELP, if not cure the issue. How badly is it leaking oil? Pics would also be helpful.

Future reference, you can continue stuff like this in the original post.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil leak

first of all thanks for the quick reply your suggestions are helping me out

well the shop called earlier and told me that the car has extra 10 pound of pressure in the engine bcus of the supercharger causing the oil leak

well i dont want to go to another shop because i already paid them so im goin to be losing money.

So using a breather will not harm the engine because the shop saying it will

The oil leaks like around 5-7 small drops everytime i take the car and park it so imagine how much i will lose in a week if i drive alot

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
signature

sig

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sig

sig

·
Registered
44 Posts
I run 12lb's boost in my Harley Truck and no leaks, I don't beleive the 4ish lb's boost will cause the leak. Someone installed the gasket wrong, with a one peice rear main I can't see it happening. I run a 200 shot of N2O on my Chevelle and that does get the occasional leak but I have now changed up to a rubber oil pan gasket and it's been doing better.
Heck I'd crank up that blower you have and see what kinda #'s it will push on the dyno. A friend just bought a 96 Impala SS with a procharger pushing 9lbs and a 6sp backing it for only $14k. I thought 6sp but yepp the previous owner did the swap. But holy cow does that car ever fly and guess what NO LEAKS.
I just think some didn't install the gasket right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Make sure it's the oil pan. These cars have a tendancy to leak at the rear intake manifold along the valley seal. This then drips down the rear of the engine and sometimes around the starter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a 2006 Super Duty Harley truck over 36 PSI today :D

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Food for thought, If the oil pan is NOT the original factory oil pan, thats probably your issue. I have had some guys ask me to install these Chrome aftermarket oil pans and guess what, each one installed had problems with leaks. Turns out that china man in all his wisdom, reversed the channels/valleys on the lip of the oil pan where it meets the gasket, in turn it basically cut the gasket as you torqued it to spec.

Took a few minutes of wondering WTF on the first pan but after that we knew what to expect and look for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
^+1....at my old shop I worked on a few big bodies myself and ran into the same problem. Mind you I build imports but also do minor things for every car, but after tightening the pan down, i had my co worker start the car and litterally watchted the oil come out of the pan because it was breaking more and more with every bolt I tightened. Put on a brand new OEM pan and didnt have a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts