Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Impala SS that had a bad misfire with no compression in the cylinder so took the valve cover off and the rocker arm was not even over top the pushrod so, I am suspecting the lifter is crushed. Does anyone else agree and is this common? The car only has 89k miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 1996 Impala SS that had a bad misfire with no compression in the cylinder so took the valve cover off and the rocker arm was not even over top the pushrod so, I am suspecting the lifter is crushed. Does anyone else agree and is this common? The car only has 89k miles.
Never heard that before. I've got over 80K miles on mine with hundreds of 1/4mile passes and I'm using stiffer springs and 1.6:1 RRs. Are you sure the pushrod isn't bent or broken?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I have not heard of this being a common problem at all. I agree about having the push rods checked for that sounds more likely since the rockers are not touching the valves.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It ended up being the lifter.

It actually ended up being the lifter. when I took the intake off the lifter on number 1 cylinder was broken apart into every part it could. i don't know what caused it though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts