Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if there is a factory amplifier in a 1996 caprice/impala?
(i'm not sure if the after market head unit is the main source of power for the speakers or if theres a stock amp hidden somewhere )
If its not the amp.

I think some of my factory speaker wiring may be damaged because i have abnormal fade in all 4 speakers, it just sounds off, like i'm partly deaf in my left ear or something and on top of that my back right rear speaker keeps shorting/sparking on the body of the vehicle every time I try to screw it in during install.

I just covered the metal parts of the speaker with electrical tape to prevent this for now.

So pretty much i think i need a new wiring harness or something, because there may be a short to ground somewhere and i need to know if theres a factory amp hidden.

any advice would be great!

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
Hello, there is no factory amp in our cars. The problem you may have is an exposed wire in the dash that maybe touching something it shouldnt be touching. This is pending if you have an aftermarket radio, which typically involves splicing wires and etc. So i will start there. Even if its a stock radio, wires can be damaged over time and can be a cause of your issue as well. Either way, with speakers and general audio troubleshooting, it shouldnt be very hard to find your culprit. In the mean time, just be care...

Reactions: Storm and Lt.Dashy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch, I think it may be some old wiring exposed somewhere...i'm gonna see about fixing it my next day off.

·
Banned
667 Posts
Hello, there is no factory amp in our cars. The problem you may have is an exposed wire in the dash that maybe touching something it shouldnt be touching. This is pending if you have an aftermarket radio, which typically involves splicing wires and etc. So i will start there. Even if its a stock radio, wires can be damaged over time and can be a cause of your issue as well. Either way, with speakers and general audio troubleshooting, it shouldnt be very hard to find your culprit. In the mean time, just be care...
yes it's in the trunk very small amp though.

·
Vader
353 Posts
Not sure but it sounds like you have a wiring issue. Wire touching something like mentioned above or if your aftermarket radio was wired wrong. Doesn't really matter if it's amped or not if it plays. That leaves a wire issue left of something wrong with the headunit.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
You would best shot is a RPO decode to see if the car had the upgrade bose sound system. From what i see in the radio dia. it is showing no amp for the car. But a decode and a look in the trunk under the high mount stop lamp if there is a amp, it's black and has screws that hold it up in a stamped steel bracket.
My 1991 had the factory bose and amp so i bypassed the amp and had to rewire the cars speakers with new wire to the rear.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I dont think the BBodys had the Bose past 93 in the LTZ's. I know my 92 LTZ had the Bose, it worked on and off when it wanted lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information guys, really appreciate it...

but what if I just bought a crap load of speaker wire and just rewired all the speakers directly to the aftermarket head unit? could i just skip over trying to find the exposed wire? i think the car may have been hit in the back years ago so maybe something got messed up from that. when i bought the car and replaced the stock speakers, the back left speaker, where its shorting now didn't even work, guess it just cooked itself over time :/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts