Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here is my situation.... I have a 96 Chevy Caprice with the LT-1 setup. My car stalls out at all different times. It could be a few seconds after i start it. It could be 10 minutes after i have let it warm up and drive it. I do get a misfire or a backfire popping sound once in a while also when i am driving. But once the car stalls out, it literally takes anywhere from 15 - 20 minutes to start it back up. I NEED HELP !!! it is just very very frustrating. I just need some advice on what to get, and then i am going to replace everything at once. Thanks...

Please email me personally at: [email protected]

thanks again

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sounds to me like it's ignition related, but it could be a sensor going bad or fuel problem.

We need more info to help though. How many miles on car, when was last tune-up, maintenance, any CEL's, other work recently done, any leaks, etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds to me like it's ignition related, but it could be a sensor going bad or fuel problem.

We need more info to help though. How many miles on car, when was last tune-up, maintenance, any CEL's, other work recently done, any leaks, etc.
She has 140,000 miles on her...
Last tune up - I changed the oil and I did 6 ac delco plugs over the weekend... the other 2 were just to hard to get to and i ran out of daylight.... i have 8.5mm MSD wires on there now. But other then that... no work was really done to it.

It did over heat on thursday and spit antifreeze out of the overflow, but that was due to my relays on my primary and secondary fans were shot. I was running her pretty hard for a couple hours and the fans never came on. Put new relays in it and more anti freeze and the problem was solved. Besides that, there were no leaks.

Today i went out and bought a fuel filter and put some full fuel cleaner, and some dry gas in there to see what she would do... I drove from a town called Williamstown to Bellmawr, NJ... Thats about a 15 minute drive... Took me close to 3 hours to get home... I kept stalling out, and she would not start at all... And that was on a major highway.. Must of did it 30 times. Its like as soon as i give her gas she cuts out. Or it would let me get a mile or to out of her and just cuts out, leaving me to do nothing but pull off to the side of the road.

Im gonna put the Fuel filter in it and do the other 2 plugs and wires tomorrow and see if that solves my problem, but i HIGHLY doubt that it will.

I am just at a stand still now... i really dont know what to do with it. You said it was ignition ploblems??

·
Registered
288 Posts
It could be ignition problems, though it sounds like the fuel pump may be the culprit as well. Did you change the coil wire with the rest of the wires? Any wires resting on the exhaust getting burned? Did these symptoms happen only after the coolant spit out, possibly corrupting the opti?

At any rate, I would get my hands on a fuel pressure gauge and check that ASAP. There is a schrader valve on the fuel pressure regulator, on the back of the intake manifold right by the EGR. Pressure should be 38-45 psi. If that checks out ok, get a spark tester and start checking that.

And if you don't already know, some people find it easier to get to the spark plugs through the wheel well- with the wheels removed, of course.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In dier need of a anwser pleaseee.. I have a 96 impala ss couple weeks ago my aircleaner feel off and blew the sensor so I replaced it now its fidangled all up and it always seems to wna stall out . Could it be because to much air or should I start looking elsee where for issues ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts