Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran out of gas. I put a gallon of gas in the next morning, the engine turns over but will not start. Any suggestions? I may have flooded the engine trying to start it again.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I ran out of gas. I put a gallon of gas in the next morning, the engine turns over but will not start. Any suggestions? I may have flooded the engine trying to start it again.
It may have not been enough gas try putting in another couple, 3 gallons in an try it again. It all depends how empty the tank was.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it was running fine up until you ran it out of gas , I doubt you flooded it . Its fuel injected , and the injectors fire the fuel when told to .

If you pumped the gas trying to start it , you just opened and closed the butterflies a lot .

·
Registered
303 Posts
You might have flooded the engine... if you were very lucky. Unfortunately, the fuel pumps in that generation B-bodies were infamous for dying after running out of gas... even just regularly running low on gas. [I know this for a FACT!] Get under the tank and have someone turn the key on. The pump should run for two seconds. If you don't hear it, it's probably dead.

If you have to replace the pump, buy a replacement pump with a new harness (about the same price). Change the harness or at least inspect the pins where it connects to the top mounting plate. The pins are known to burn.

Good luck.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You might have flooded the engine... if you were very lucky. Unfortunately, the fuel pumps in that generation B-bodies were infamous for dying after running out of gas... even just regularly running low on gas. [I know this for a FACT!] Get under the tank and have someone turn the key on. The pump should run for two seconds. If you don't hear it, it's probably dead.

If you have to replace the pump, buy a replacement pump with a new harness (about the same price). Change the harness or at least inspect the pins where it connects to the top mounting plate. The pins are known to burn.

Good luck.
TRU

1 - 5 of 5 Posts