Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, hoping someone out there can help me find a class 3 hitch with the 500/5000 lbs tonue/trailer weight the wagon is rated for. All my onlien searches come up with nothing but the 350/3500 hitches which my car already has. I want to pull the existing one off because the hitch is a single unit that does not allow me to remove the hitch so it protrudes past the bumber and it will not be long before bloody shins arise.
Since I will take it off, I figured upgrading to the larger one would be a good idea, but I CANNOT FIND ONE. Anyone out there know where to get one? Dealers used to install the 5K hitch, so why are they not around anymore?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I saw that but do not want all the extra crap attachements to make ti work...there was once a 5K hitch that did not require the weight distribution. All the GM 1500 vans and trucks had and can still get them, but the B-body is difficult at best to find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel ya...

I've been looking for a big hitch, too. I have a bunch of 2" reciever stuff, and there is no way I'm downgrading to the 1 1/4". I'd like to get a small camper soon and use the wagon for road trips. I can find 9,000 lb, 2" recievers for sedans, I've thought about buying one to see what I have to mod to make it work.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The sedan and wagon hitches are QUITE different.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The wagon Hitches are no longer made, so it would have to be an old stocked one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you havent found one yet then i am taking mine off. it is a 2" reciever. i havent got under there to make sure it isnt welded but i will check it out tomorrow and let you know.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread...

The problem here is not the actual hitch but your car. Any of those class 3 hitches would probably work but most will not go against the car manufacturer's recommendation.

Way back when I had my '91 Caprice wagon, I bought a Putnam hitch that was a huge thing and rated for 7500 lbs, but no way could I safely tow that much. The limitation is the (lack of) total vehicle weight and the rear suspension of our cars. A weight-distributing hitch helps your car tow more.

If you really need to tow that much regularly, consider a larger vehicle (truck). You could probably get away with towing that occasionally, but bad weather, hills, etc., could end up with bad results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to the forums, hate to bring up an older thread. But, what does the factory tow package add on a 91 caprice wagon?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Try this:

What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?

My OCC has factory air leveling in the back, but I have no plans to haul my camper with it until I get the transmission gone-through and beefed up, and that's when I'll add an external trans cooler. The weight-distributing capability of the big factory hitch is the biggest factor for me, as it will greatly improve handing when towing a heavy trailer.

A lot of people think you need a truck to pull a camper, but that simply is not true. People pulled campers with big cars for decades until Trucks and SUVs became hip, and these wagons were intentionally built for heavy-duty service. It was a dying concept by the early 90s, thus these wagons were among the last of such vehicles built with this kind of capability. I believe the longevity of these cars is directly attributable to their over-built nature.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts