Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awesome forum tbis is my first post i hopr you all can help. Just bought a non running 1995 caprice. Previous owner lost the key so instead of having one made he bought a ignition switch from autozone. Everything turns on but will not crank. So now I have no clue what ohms the chip is or even where to start. Can they use the vin to tell what ohms chip it takes or will they even offer the info. Any help would be grateful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is a tester at the dealership. It's an old tool that plugs under the column. It still won't tell you how many ohms though. It's just a possibility of a few different resistor chip options. You really need that tester. The vin won't tell you. Back in the day I found a resistor to match the key chip and just wired it inline under the column to bypass the cylinder leads all together. Maybe online somewhere there's a list of resistors it could possibly be.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Appreciate it, I found a list I believe I will order all that's listed and go 1 at a time lol
I worked on a remote start project many years ago. We would measure the resistance in the key, and then place a resistor of like value in our remote starter, which would switch that into the ignition wiring when it received the start command. It worked like a charm.

I can't recall how many different resistor values that system (Vascar?) used , but there weren't an inordinate number.

Anyway, hopefully, it won't be too arduous a task to find the right resistor value. You can wire the resistor permanently into the ignition wiring and bypass the ignition switch. (And you will no longer need a key that has a resistor in it, mounted in the shaft.)

Doug

·
Registered
113 Posts
Let me clear up some wrong info in here.

Yes, the dealer CAN get you the correct key if you provide the VIN and proof of ownership. I've done if before when I lost a set of keys.

·
Super Moderator
3,901 Posts
Many dealers will tell you they can not. Dealerships are staffed mostly by folks who know little and care about nothing but a quick buck. It it takes brains or effort the answer will be "we can't"
Friend just went thru this and actually found a locksmith with the "interrogator" which let him find the resistance by process of elimination.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts