Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helping a friend put the engine back in his 1995 caprice and the motor mounts won't line up properly. Seems to set level but with the engine twisted off to the right. I've put engines in three other Caprice police specials for him, a 91 5.7 tbi and a 94 and 95 LT-1 5.7 and have NEVER had this trouble. The always drop in easy with little trouble.
Only two things on this one are different. 1. It's the 4,3 motor, and 2. I did NOT pull and tear this engine down myself to get machined, his kid took it apart and never finished it. I have confirmed that the motor mounts on the frame have not been changed or altered. What I'm also unsure of is that the brackets one he block are the right ones or if the could have been put on the wrong side. I'm a big fan of marking things with a paint pen when I tear down so it all goes back the same. Do the brackets that bolt to the engine block on this car have a RH and LH? I have removed the lower A arms because I've decided to put new motor mounts in case it's somehow causing the issue even though they seem ok , what I CAN see that the two upper mounting holes in the frame are a good inch further forward on the drivers side VS passenger side. Does this mean the brackets are offset on one side or another?

Banging my head on this and any help would be great. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
The passenger side one gets mounted further back and "upside down" compared to the driver's side one. You might have the passenger mount rotated and using the AC compressor stud location.

The 4.3L is externally identical to the 5.7l sort of like the older 305 vs. 350.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts