Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, folks -

My 1994 CC wagon is having some trouble with the speedometer/instrument cluster cutting out. It's a digital display, and has infrequently cut out from time to time - usually when starting up. I have had my mechanic have a look - he says that the unit can be removed and shipped out of state for repair (about 3 weeks overall wait), or a junkyard may have the part.

Do any of you folks have a better option? I don't know if this is a common issue, and figured I'd run it by you. Fortunately, this is a relatively infrequent situation - I just don't want to run into it on a long trip, or see it become more common.

Some quick info - the wagon has 96,000 miles on it, with no other issues of note. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Howdy, folks -

My 1994 CC wagon is having some trouble with the speedometer/instrument cluster cutting out. It's a digital display, and has infrequently cut out from time to time - usually when starting up. I have had my mechanic have a look - he says that the unit can be removed and shipped out of state for repair (about 3 weeks overall wait), or a junkyard may have the part.

Do any of you folks have a better option? I don't know if this is a common issue, and figured I'd run it by you. Fortunately, this is a relatively infrequent situation - I just don't want to run into it on a long trip, or see it become more common.

Some quick info - the wagon has 96,000 miles on it, with no other issues of note. Thanks so much!

Did you chase back your grounds to make sure they are secured properly?

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
The clusters digital read out are ALL prone to premature failure. Typically around 100,000 miles they get crazy and jump around or display weird mileage or even overlapping mileage, if they display at all! The only fix is to remove the cluster (very very easy) and ship it to auto electric radio in california. they repair and replace EVERYTHING and you get what looks like a brand new cluster!! hell they even replace the clear plastic the protects the cluster, the one that all the car wash guys scratch.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The clusters digital read out are ALL prone to premature failure. Typically around 100,000 miles they get crazy and jump around or display weird mileage or even overlapping mileage, if they display at all! The only fix is to remove the cluster (very very easy) and ship it to auto electric radio in california. they repair and replace EVERYTHING and you get what looks like a brand new cluster!! hell they even replace the clear plastic the protects the cluster, the one that all the car wash guys scratch.
Thank You so much - this probably explains why my mileage jumped about 500 miles in one night... I swear I thought my wagon had been "borrowed", if you get my drift - mystery likely solved.

I talked with my mechanic - he had checked the connections, and suggested what you said above - shipping it out to California. Sounds like the best solution here - I really appreciate your help.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Your welcome. I handle this for customers on a regular basis. Some people will lead you around telling you to "clean the contacts" and such but you will end up pulling the cluster again and again. If you need anything else let me know, we specialze in the b bods from 91-96 no matter what the trim (9c1-ss-roadmaster and even f bods)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts