Impala Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Im not registering anything back there. I guess i am just screwed on the cruise control because Im not going to chase down a gremlin.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The terminals in your first picture are certainly corroded. Both contacts should look like the one on the left. If you put a multimeter on those contacts with the brake pedal depressed, you should have voltage. Mine show 10-12 volts. I'm guessing you won't have any with the looks of the plungers there. Easy to replace, drill out the rivets and gently pull it out, unplug and replace. Not sure if you can get them new but certainly available on parts car.

As to the second picture, a good Scotch pad should clean those contacts up pretty well. Hard to be sure without seeing the whole thing but it doesn't look horrible. Sand those down and then (with known good bulbs installed) check for continuity across the contacts.

If you have a few dollars I would also strongly suggest checking out epay and picking up a shop manual. There are almost always a few for sale there and for not too much money.

Good luck!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The terminals in your first picture are certainly corroded. Both contacts should look like the one on the left. If you put a multimeter on those contacts with the brake pedal depressed, you should have voltage. Mine show 10-12 volts. I'm guessing you won't have any with the looks of the plungers there. Easy to replace, drill out the rivets and gently pull it out, unplug and replace. Not sure if you can get them new but certainly available on parts car.

As to the second picture, a good Scotch pad should clean those contacts up pretty well. Hard to be sure without seeing the whole thing but it doesn't look horrible. Sand those down and then (with known good bulbs installed) check for continuity across the contacts.

If you have a few dollars I would also strongly suggest checking out epay and picking up a shop manual. There are almost always a few for sale there and for not too much money.

Good luck!
I will check continuity but with the contacts coming to those two points inside the door are just as corroded. I cleaned them up but still not registering, so I doubt I will even bother to continue. Not much of a point chasing a gremlin on this old of a car that I don't plan to keep forever.

Thanks for the help, I will defanitly try ebay for a manual.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good luck to ya! If you want, I can snap a couple pics of mine for comparison. But it does look like replacing those components with stuff from a parts car would correct it for you.
Mike

I will check continuity but with the contacts coming to those two points inside the door are just as corroded. I cleaned them up but still not registering, so I doubt I will even bother to continue. Not much of a point chasing a gremlin on this old of a car that I don't plan to keep forever.

Thanks for the help, I will defanitly try ebay for a manual.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts