Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a high mileage Custom Cruiser with a 5.7l.

Runs and drives great but there are a few things I need to fix.

I read somewhere that often times the cruise control won't work if the high center brake light is burnt out. Anyone have first hand knowledge of this. I didn't check the lights last night but will when I get home. Hopefully this is the case and it will be an easy fix.

Also the PO put duct tape over the drivers window control switch. Are there any known gremlins that I could try to tackle right away to figure out whats going on. I am thinking the window would go down but not up or why would he tape it over. The other windows function normally with thier individual controls.

Oh, and hi, I am new.:tongue:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Pardon my ignorance but how many guides would I need? Also how are they held on? Do i have to remove the regulator?

The link in the one thread is dead. Do you have an updated link?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what would you suggest I do to check it? Pull the panel or just pull the tape and put it down some then try back up?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your help!

You wouldn't by chance still have the instructions would you? Im thinkin maybe you could share them, and I could toss you a couple bux in paypal and buy the rollers local.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, NM on the window. Best I can figure out the PO taped it because the up side of the switch lever for the drivers side rear window was broke. However al the windows go up and down.

Anyone have any further info on the cruise control corolating with the Center Mount High Tail Light? The brake light isn't working so i hope replacing it will fix the cruise.

This car drives like a dream but I found out less than a quarter tank not a good idea to mat the gas. It stalls, face turns red with embarassement, not so cool.

Anyone with a Delco radio they want to sell cheap?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
RoadMonster, could you put a small nut and bolt in place of the rivet? The reason I ask is to me that wold make it easier to replace at a latter time instead of always drilling out each rivet that get put in.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I guess I am looking for a schematic to see if there is any truth to the brake light cruise control thing. The brake light doesn't work. I suspect because the connections are corroded beyond cleanin.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a vague recollection that the CHMSL and the Cruise are related somehow. However, since the ISSF is down, we can't ask the Wagon Section folk that would know!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sucks. Am i looking at it right that the light draws power from the tailgate via the two contact pins?

The back side of my liftgate latch is rusted to death:(

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm,

The ABS light came on at lunch.

Where do i start with that?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hmm,

The ABS light came on at lunch.

Where do i start with that?
You pull out the bulb and remember to pump the brakes if you slide. ABS has nothing to do with your stopping power, and an ABS light has nothing to do with your brakes. You just don't have ABS. Lots of cars don't.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You pull out the bulb and remember to pump the brakes if you slide. ABS has nothing to do with your stopping power, and an ABS light has nothing to do with your brakes. You just don't have ABS. Lots of cars don't.
I can just ignore the light.

Any reason I can't replace temporarily my retractable restraint in my second row seat with a solid mount restraint?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can just ignore the light.

Any reason I can't replace temporarily my retractable restraint in my second row seat with a solid mount restraint?
I pulled the rear lap belt from the third row and used it to replace the shoulder belt. Actually works better for a child seat. If the other one breaks I am going to do the same. Mind you these are my second row seats, not the front seats.

Picking up a stereo today from a 92 Cutlass Supreme. Hopefully that fits in this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Cruise will not work if the CHMSL is out or inop. I have even tried putting LED bulbs in my Cruiser and the cruise will not work with those in place.

Interestingly, this is not the case in the LT1 wagons. Cruise will still work fine if the light is out. I was able to put LED bulbs in my Roadmaster with no effect on the cruise.

HTH!

I have a vague recollection that the CHMSL and the Cruise are related somehow. However, since the ISSF is down, we can't ask the Wagon Section folk that would know!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have the mounting hardware but the plug in's matched.

They removed the wood grained facia across the dash. I thought it screwed off but it must be one piece? Now i have to get some two part epoxy and get it put back on there. The mounting hardware for my original radio left with the radio, so I am going to have to get longer bolts and shim this one out some. The bracket is about 2 inches away from the mount right now.

Drove the car about 400 miles this weekend. i am in love, however, my son (3) left the light on at the back hatch. So I hopped in last night for a ride and the battery was dead. Will have to jump it tonight.

Seat belts worked fine, or better than fine because as I mentioned the lap belts are actually easier to use with car seats.

I need to get piece of rod bent, ends flattened, and drilled out for an upper LATCH for my sons car seat.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Cruise will not work if the CHMSL is out or inop. I have even tried putting LED bulbs in my Cruiser and the cruise will not work with those in place.

Interestingly, this is not the case in the LT1 wagons. Cruise will still work fine if the light is out. I was able to put LED bulbs in my Roadmaster with no effect on the cruise.

HTH!
Is there a way to bypass this? Reason I ask is my terminals are toast, so no matter how much I clean them up I am never going to get them to work again. I kinda would like cruise on it, unlike my smaller cars that i tend to drive too fast, I looked down saturday and seen I was tooling along at 65.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, I tried but couldn't make it work. But electricity isn't one of my strong points so possible I just did something wrong. In a nutshell the cruise is looking for the appropriate resistance to match that of the two light bulbs in the CHMSL. So in theory you could install a resistor inline with the brake light circuit to simulate this resistance. I tried to do this with my LED bulbs but the cruise still didn't work. Again, though, it's quite possible, I did something wrong. I ended up just putting the regular bulbs back in.

I presume the terminals you say are 'toast' are in the housing for the CHMSL/rear glass handle unit? This is quite common, I've had 6 or 7 B wagons and have had to do some work on these units on just about every one of them.

I would suggest you scour the local salvage yards or check out an online site such as www.car-part.com for a used unit. They are the same across all 91 - 96 wagons except the plastic casing colors. 91-3 are interior color plastic where the 94-6 are all black plastic. So find one and use that to rebuild yours.

Is there a way to bypass this? Reason I ask is my terminals are toast, so no matter how much I clean them up I am never going to get them to work again. I kinda would like cruise on it, unlike my smaller cars that i tend to drive too fast, I looked down saturday and seen I was tooling along at 65.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Each door has two sliders
Actually, each door has three. The third one is on the short track that the motor/mechanism levers on.

I used to just change 2 like most people. Then I found out about the third while doing a "Window fix day" with OASIS. Then, one of my "fixed" windows quit working correctly because of the 3rd slider being broken. I wasn't happy about having to tear the door apart again.

Replace all three and be done with it.

3 sliders info on SS Forum

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

Am I looking at this right, these two contact points deliver power via that rusty piece of crap?

Why can't I clean up those points and install a wire on that bracket to the terminals on the lights?

Assuming I am getting power there. What should I set my amprobe at to check that?

I didnt even think of checking to see if I am even getting juice there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts