Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vandals broke this glass out . Picked up a new replacement glass .

I was expecting the glass to be held by 2 fasteners through 2 holes in the bottom of the glass . Which is what I saw in the bottom of the new glass . When they took it out of the cardboard to show me the glass was in good condition .

Got the door apart . The bottom of the old glass was " glued " to an aluminum strip , with black " rubber adhesive " . Not held in place with 2 fasteners .

The aluminum strip was pop riveted to another aluminum strip . I drilled out the pop rivets . Those I can replace , not woeied about that part .

So , I am confused . Did they sell me the wrong glass . Or am I missing something ?

Thanks , :)

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not too professional looking . But I hope it is good enough .

Used 3M Window weld # 06909 urethane adhesive .

Two plastic / nylon screws & hex nuts locate the holes in the glass with the 2 holes in the aluminum strip .

Groove in the strip was about .2" wider than the thickness of the glass . Tried to use Popsicle sticks & wooden kitchen matches for shims , one on either side , to the left & to the right of the screws . No go . Finally settled up on 4 pennies . 2 at each end .

Will probably let it set until after lunch tomorrow .

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The adhesive has set up pretty quickly . At least good enough .

Removed the pennies & plastic screws / hex nuts .

Tried to attach photos , but no luck ?

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1991 Chevy Caprice RF door glass

With the help of my Wife and several prayers , the glass is in the door . Far as I can tell , still in one piece .

Praise the Lord ! :)

The aluminum strip the glass is glued to & the strip that the regulator operates ( up & down ) were originally pop riveted together . Could not get a pop rivet tool in position , to operate it .

Considered screws & hex nuts , but could not find my " tray " with assorted sixes & lengths . Ended up using Teak ( hex head self tapping screws ) . My cousin had suggested using LockTite , if I used screws & hex nuts . Excellent suggestion .

I found that a large enough diameter Teak screw , the hex head of the screw wedged inside the " track " , that the plastic glide clip slides in . Tight enough that I do not think it will ever vibrate loose / out . Even w/o LockTite .

Still need to finish assembling the door .

Also attached are photos of front and back side of the arm rest . Made some repairs with E6000 adhesive . Need to cut a piece of plastic , for the broken area of the back side & glue it in . To finish the repair . Pick up some screws and appearance / trim washers . Hopefully at O'Reilly Auto Parts . Then do the same for the driver side arm rest .

God bless
Wyr

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts