Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Ratty yet Fancy
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, uhm I kind of can't help myself here. 3rd post in now and I already have an itch to show and tell, lol.

Just a little backstory to this thing:

I was first given word of this car existing about 3 years ago. A good friend of mine and me were hanging out at his dad's barn one day. I wondered what lay under this huge car cover over in the back corner of his storage barn. "You gotta see this thing" my buddy snickered to me. A friend of his dad was storing a mostly mint 1987 Pontiac Safari wagon in all its factory glory with plans to make it a project car. All I could think to myself is I want this thing. Almost a year later the car comes up for sale.

Needless to say I jumped right on it knowing it was a good solid car in need of some TLC. This is what it looked like after purchase and taking it outside of the barn for the first time in two years.

Drove it down the road and it ran beautiful for not really doing much over the course of sitting for 13 or so years. But, you could still tell mechanically everything was stiff and tired.

The worst part was the stock 200r4 that was just about ready to pop.

I thought screw it, it'll be fine(stupid decision) for the next 10,000 km that I need out of it before I can afford to take it off the road and get a strong transmission into it. I took care of the old brakes, replacing all the old worn parts and servicing everything. Changed the fluids and did a tune up. Ran like a champ until disaster struck...

·
Ratty yet Fancy
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took my car in for a safety to get it on the road and disaster struck. A buddy of mine that worked at the local shop was going to give it a once over and give me the safety papers. He took it for a test drive and the front of the 200r4 blew up and puked transmission fluid everywhere.

Crap, oh well time to make it bulletproof. I've had enough of tired old automatic transmissions blowing up on me in the past couple of years.

I sourced a TH350 originally from a 1974 firebird for 40 bucks that had sat for a few years, ran great when it was pulled from the car. Took the transmission to get it rebuilt. In went brand new heavy duty clutch packs and bands, new gaskets, a B&M shift kit, and a new '74 vette torque converter. From what I have done I can see this trans taking 500 hp no problem. Sadly I had to bolt it back up to the stock 307.

In the summer I finally finished the tune up, reserviced all the brakes, replaced the rear wheel cylinders and hit the road finally:

Things were going great for the year, car ran great. The original rad blew up a little, JB welded it temporarily, and the upper rad hose popped. That was it on stock 13 year old equipment.

But, all was not well in the world of my insurance policy I took out on it. Because vehicle liability insurance is mandatory in Ontario I have to pay it no matter what to drive. I was originally given a kind of reasonable price of around 430 bucks a month to insure it under my slightly scalded driving record from being a young dumb kid.

I get a call from my broker half way through the first month. "I'm really sorry but I screwed up when I originally wrote up your policy and failed to put in the correct postal code. I have put in the correct postal code and...you're not going to like this".

My policy jumped up to $795 dollars a month:bang:

Back into storage she went.....

·
Ratty yet Fancy
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
One long winter later, me and a couple of my best friends took lease of a house with a good size shop. Now with my own garage it's time to really get live on this long year and a half worth of headaches.

And apart she came.

Out with the dead A/C system, ballooned radiator, tired water pump and old lower radiator hose.

I ripped apart most of the interior in anticipation of installing a sound system with dual batteries, and 4 10" subs. Upon removal of the carpet...

:gaah: Stupid leaking winshield!!

Well, looks like this car really needs a good restoration before I shoot some paint at the body. The good news is that that's the only bad rust in the whole body in the car. She's a patina for sure, but straight as an arrow, and no other big rust spots anywhere. The underside of the car is still almost like it rolled off the factory line for a Canadian car.

·
The F*** Killer
1,592 Posts
Wow I like where this is going, Good Luck With Your Build!

·
Ratty yet Fancy
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But wait there's more haha.

Got the new 3 core radiator, water pump, belts, hoses and thermostat all installed. Sandblasted and painted the pulleys, and painted the new pump all flat black.

One of the outer axle seals and the rear diff cover were sweating pretty bad. Took the rear end all apart ready for outer bearings and seals, and fresh fluid. Turns out this car has the HD 8.8 in ring gear version of the 10 bolt as well. This car's such a tank.

Got around to painting those ugly rusted air filter caps, still have to get a longer stud to reach to the top of this thing and thread into the quadrajet.

As you can tell I'm a flat black kind of guy lol.

And that's all she wrote for now, stay tuned.

So far my list for this winter when it comes back off the road goes as follows:
-Pull the body off the frame
-Modify the frame and suspension for airbags, and make it lay the frame rails on the ground
-Add metal, box the frame, and make it as reliable as possible so I can drag the frame and rear bumper whenever I want without much issues.
- Clean up that ugly driver side floor with the body off the frame, and finish off the rest of the body and get it rust free and ready for paint.
-Build a proper subwoofer box for the 4 10s, as well as finish off any part of my system that I can't get done before I take it back off the road.
-Finish off the dual electric fan install (hence the now missing fan guards)

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
Very very cool project - kudos to you for saving a Safari! Keep posting progress!

·
Super Moderator
10,765 Posts
Many of the body parts look exchangable with my 83 Caprice , good luck :eek:k3:

·
Ratty yet Fancy
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Car has quite a bit of potential - nice project :eek:k3:
Thanks man, it's going to be a long road to travel down to get it where I want it. But, very worth it.

Very very cool project - kudos to you for saving a Safari! Keep posting progress!
I have yet to see another safari wagon around here anywhere, I may have one of the last ones in existence haha.

Many of the body parts look exchangable with my 83 Caprice , good luck :eek:k3:
On that note, they will bolt right up. Got any clean front driver doors kickin near me? The upper seam on mine is coming apart from crap welds at the factory.

·
Super Moderator
18,501 Posts
VERY COOL! You have just abouto satiated my need for pics!:devil:
I just need more interior pics. I LOVE that steering wheel! It is too cool!:eek:k3:
Keep up the good work, its coming right along!:beer:

·
Ratty yet Fancy
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be sure to get some pictures after I get it all back together for ya then haha.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
:beer:

·
Ratty yet Fancy
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I LOVE that steering wheel! It is too cool!:eek:k3:
You wouldn't like it if you drove it haha. Every surface of the center of that wheel activates the horn. Quite often I find myself honking the horn accidentally while trying to navigate a tight area in the beast.

Gonna get something with a more woody feel, some kind of 3 spoke grant style of some sort.

·
Screw The Environment
325 Posts
You wouldn't like it if you drove it haha. Every surface of the center of that wheel activates the horn. Quite often I find myself honking the horn accidentally while trying to navigate a tight area in the beast.

Gonna get something with a more woody feel, some kind of 3 spoke grant style of some sort.
You're lucky. Usually when I have a car the horn almost never wants to work.

·
Ratty yet Fancy
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Long time..

So after some late nights, lots of research, busted knuckles and some swearing here and there I have some show and tell owed to the forum.

The good news is it's on the road, and running like a champ. The bad news is the list of things I want/need to work on this car keeps getting bigger and bigger. But that's how these things go when you take on projects like this.

So far I have it sitting pretty on some fresh rubber, cleaned it up, painted the rims and finally got around to using the car audio equipment I had laying around my place for this car :devil:

Here's some pictures to prove I haven't just been sitting on my butt the past few months:

Tinted lights all around

New wide rubber for the rear

Glad to have it back on the road again!

It still cleans up nice, all original bodywork!

And Now a little taste of what I got into last long weekend.

And just testing out the roof racks

And there ya go, enjoy!

More to come!

·
Super Moderator
10,765 Posts
Lookin' good so far , keep it up :beer:

·
Designated Driver
4,516 Posts
430 bucks a month to insure it under my

My policy jumped up to $795 dollars a month:bang:
I heard you say it twice.
BUT
You meant per year right?

That is just retarded! $9600 a year for ins..... No way!
Do you have 50 ppl on ur policy?
Your record?
Did you destroy an entire dealership in one accident?

Something don't make sense..! :dizzy:

·
Ratty yet Fancy
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I heard you say it twice.
BUT
You meant per year right?

That is just retarded! $9600 a year for ins..... No way!
Do you have 50 ppl on ur policy?
Your record?
Did you destroy an entire dealership in one accident?

Something don't make sense..! :dizzy:
Nope, it's all true. Here in ontario it is mandatory for you to have an insurance policy on your vehicle before it can be road legal, but the government does not regulate the prices insurance companies can charge their customers. I had one accident, and a couple tickets on my record. When insurance companies don't want your business they give you an outrageous quote so they either don't take on your "high risk" business, or if you do, they make a huge profit doing it.

I'm fine, it's the system here that doesn't make sense.

I had to wait almost 4 years for my policy to come down to $200 a month after the accident. After it all I am just glad to be back on the road after so long.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts