Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car had only one tune up in its lifetime (it was rarely driven, until now)
and the whole body of the car shakes when it idles, is it the spark plugs...ect. that i need to change or is it something far more worse. i know im going off the edge here, but i really need an opinion...... has anyone had a similar problem
to there car????

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Best way to tell is to pull the plugs out one at a time and look at them. Also as cheap as the plugs are you might just want to replace them.

On my Impala the following has caused the problem you are describing:
1) fould spark plugs
2) bad spark plug wires
3) faulty Ignition module

Other factors could be a bad distributor cap and/or rotor bug. Clogged intake port, burnt valve in one of the cylinders, or even low fuel pressure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thank you, and also there is electrical tape on one of the wires could that be a problem... and i am planning on getting a tune-up this saturday, so i will see what the real problem is then....

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
there is electrical tape on one of the wires could that be a problem.
Yes that wire most likely is damaged.

On your tune up you might want to change the fuel filter located in the carburetor. Pull the fuel line and then the brass nut that the line hooked to and the filter is inside. Ask you local auto parts store for one so you will know what it looks like before you start.

On our cars the following should be changed during the tune-ups:
Spark plugs,
Plug wires,
Distributor cap and rotor bug,
Air and fuel filters,
PCV valve,
Check the base spark timing of the distributor,
Oil change,
Lubercate the exterior of the carb's pivot points with a couple of drops of engine oil.
Might want to run a good fuel system cleaner in the tank and spray the carb throttle intake with a spry cleaner as well.

Check all of your vacuum hoses, replace any with cracks. Make sure the air snorkel door opens once the engine is warmed up. Inspect your accessory drive belts for damage and major cracking, replace as necessary. Inspect the radiator and heater hoses for damage, leaks, or cracking of the outer material.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it worked

i am happy now the car starts right up and there is no more problems.....for now, next on my todo list is to restore the inside of the car now that the
weather is warming up, does anybody know of any type of sheet metal that does not have a bright shine????

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Only old rusted metal. New sheet metal will have a shine to it. You can scuff it up with 300 grit sand paper and paint it the color you want. Be sure to prime it first.

What all did you do on the engine to get it running smoothly?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well i changed the wires and spark plugs, and thats bout it. the motor does not shake anymore so i think i will leave it for now, till i have enough money to replace the fuel filter etc. but once spring is here i will be working on the car more often... like the outside and the interior.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
like he said b4 fuel filter is a good thing to replace if ur car hasnt been drove much i think there like 5 bucks at any auto parts store:rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, but right now its too cold to do anything outside, so im going to wait to
finish my complete tune-up..... oh and i know some things bout cars but all i basically do is rebuild racing engines with my dad, so i do more stuff with hydraulics than regular maintenance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts