Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think in a 74 Vin there should be 13. Now days 17 is the norm...

IT looks like your VIn number is some what on track because the year code was 6th digit and seems yours is also. Then there is a 7th that would be plant it was out of Janesville, WI. After the Plant code in 74 was followed by 6 digits Production numbers...

Hope this helps I will try and find a website I used years ago and post info to it...

James

·
Registered
1 Posts
HELP I recently bought a 1974 caprice convertible it has a vin plate but I need the other vin the officer told me it was behind the blower motor but I dont see it the frame is all rusted so I cant find that one my ? Is do this cars have the second vin behind blower motors maybe I need 2 scrape old silicone here is a picture

·
Registered
570 Posts
Although my knowledge stops at '73, I never heard of such a thing. As we know these cars, it has been widely known that the only other place is on the Chassis, most likely under the drivers side floor of the car. Hard to get at? Yes. Plus there is nothing illegal about changing a chassis. Therefore the numbers really don't have to match. My best guess is that you got the wrong info. If you need a more professional opinion, I would contact General Motors. They used to have a customer service contact number, hopefully they still do. But... is the person asking for a Cowl Tag? That's a different story.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts