Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as soon as I plug it up and switch on the a/c compressor the thermal limiter starts to get hot then a hole burns through it

I need A/C bad

any suggestions

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
check the grounds on the ac system and to the fire wall . sounds like the switch is grounding its self somewhere other than where it shoould.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a electrcian test the load on that limiter circuit,my guess would be your compressor is pulling to many amps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
quick fix

as soon as I plug it up and switch on the a/c compressor the thermal limiter starts to get hot then a hole burns through it

I need A/C bad

any suggestions
Early model GM vehicles through 1979, used a superheat switch and a thermal-limiter fuse, for a system protection devise. This same system has been used on later models of Jaguar, Mercedes Benz and others. The superheat switch is normally open. It closes to ground when improper refrigerant flow causes the refrigerant temperature to rise above a set limit. When closed, it grounds the heating element in the thermal limiter and melts the fuse, opening the clutch circuit.

When retrofitting to R134a, government regulations require a high pressure cutout switch type of protection. The high pressure switch is normally closed. It opens, interrupting the clutch circuit, when the high side pressure exceeds 430psi and closes when the pressure drops back to 200psi.

To convert a superheat switch system to a high pressure cut-out system, use kit number 36683 for the �� high side service port or number 36684 for the 3/16� high side service port.

Leave the plug or old switch in the compressor switch cavity. Cut the thermal fuse out of the harness and discard the wire from the superheat switch. Splice in the new switch harness to the wires that went to terminals �B� and �C� of the thermal fuse. Then mount the adapter and high pressure switch to the service port and connect the harness.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts