Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky to find a 1971 Impala convertible numbers matching 402 with factory air condition.

I think It is a rare car because I can not find parts...

I am looking for a gas tank perferably stainless steel or aluminum. I have the old tank and there is rust in the tank....ITS KILLING ME to not drive the car right now, but I am trying to be level headed and not ruin the motor.. I just replaced the carb also.

1. Can anyone tell me if other tanks from other years will fit this car?

I know some 1972 parts will work but not sure about the tanks....

ANY ONE know where to get?

2. ANY WAY to retore the tank on your own without costing $500.00 or more. I have seen a company "RENU" here in CHicago that will do it for $500.00 or more. I would like to streach my money and do it myself....Has anyone tried a gas tank restoring method or product worth trying????

3. Any way to know more about this specific car and how many were made or how many are around..???

I love the car, she needs some work, trying to get her out on the street before theres snow on the ground. I drove her one time with a gas tank IV to the carb.

Thank You I will try to answer somebody elses question IF i know the answer..

:bang:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I know motorcycle guys restore tanks all the time with a special coating, you would obviously need more of it. You would also need to get most of the rust out first, usually by putting some abrasive material in the tank and sloshing it around a bunch. Only thing is, that would probably be a massive pain in the ass with a 20+ gallon tank. Have you looked around online much? I would think a poly tank would be easy enough to come by.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts