Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking pointers, ideas and opinions on past experiences.

I'm going to restore the engine compartment on my Caprice (with engine in place and fenders left on but the radiator out) before any more bodywork is started. It will be a daily driver so I don't need it perfect but I'm looking for help.

What is the official color of the valve covers and intake manifold? It appears a reddish or orange. Can I purchase this in a spray can? If so, is there a paint code for that year and who sells it? How about the black on the wheel wells? Was it flat, satin or gloss?

Looking down into the engine compartment you can see the front fork. I was thinking of taking a wire brush and or grinding wire wheel to clean it but what should I spray it with after cleaning for an original/clean appearance?

Thank you!
Ray

·
Registered
664 Posts
The Engine Color is Chevy Orange. It is for sale in many places, but I would buy a high quality, well known brand name paint as some of the color tone can vary. Your local parts store or auto paint store can help. Also check some online vendors. It is available in a Spray Can.

The Black paint in the engine compartment was not gloss, but maybe someone else can jump in with the exact info on that for you. There is a certain paint number for it, if you would like it factory correct.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts