Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham that was passed down by my grandfather. It has been sitting in my garage for about 10 years. I would like to try to restore it to best possible condition (interior is original mint). Where would be the best place to start? Where can I get parts? Ideas?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is an amazing coincidence. Our shop took a 1969 Fleetwood Brougham in about 4 months ago for restoration. The engine is being completed this afternoon!

Where do I start...it is certainly an interesting vehicle to work on. This car was a first of it's kind in many ways, the most unique item is the motor. The 472 in this vehicle is the first of it's kind, the first "big block" to ever run on the highways.

The best place to start is going to be determing the true condition of the vehicle. How much rust does it have, do the doors close properly, is there rust on the frame, are the floorpans rusting out, does it drive well now, how does the suspension look, is the electrical system in good shape...I could go on forever, I'm sure you get the point.

Next you'll want to determine how far you want to take the project. Are you looking to completely restore the drivetrain and exterior? Do you just want to get it looking nice and rely on the old drivetrain to keep you moving? The project we have is a complete frame-off, the car will basically be new (better than) when it's completed. The interior was in great condition same as yours however!

Whatever you plans may be you'll want to address the drivetrain first. The motor, transmission, and rear end should all be serviced at bare minimum. If you really want to bring the old girl to life I highly....highly recommend rebuilding the 472. The parts are not super available but easy enough to make it worth your while. Oddly enough you'll find many of them on Ebay! A hot cam, good intake, and big carb do wonders for the 472....quite the power house.

Rebuilding the tranny and rear end is not a bad idea but probably out of your league....it's takes a different breed to rebuild transmissions. I've yet to gut one myself!

Finding replacement body panels is another story...you will fight for parts that are in good shape. Our vehicle had 1 fender that was badly dented, we tracked one down in the middle of Kansas that had a little rust but was in sound condition...it took a month to do this! Most of the body work we've done has been custom metal work, they do not make replacement panels for this vehicle.

If you're going to do body work remove the drip rail at the base of the roof...this is the primary cause for rust at the top of the trunk and around the back quarters! It takes a bit of work but definetely worth it!

I could go on for days with tips on how to proceed. Contact me via email if you like. Hope this helped!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you shoot the paint your self,you can get acids from you local auto parts store,it eats the origanal paint right off,but onnce it's stripped to the bare metal it will rust fast,so you must shoot it with primer,asap.The acid will save you alot of time sanding it,after the primer is dry wet sand the primer with400 grit,wash it and let dry and shoot it with the paint color of your choice,IMPORTANT the paint must be compatable to the paint,other wise it will start peeling and blistering after a couple months,and we don't want that.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Start with the drive train. Make it run and srive smooth, then do the paint and body work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts