Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the group, glad to see so many Impala enthusiasts out there.

I have a couple questions (which will lead to thousands more I expect). I've gotten the bug to buy and restore/restomod a 1970 Impala Custom Coupe. Mostly because it was by first car. I understand it's not the most collectable model and I don't care to get my money back out of it. When I pull the trigger it will be a full resto, best I can afford and I plan to keep it until they bury me in it. It will be a daily driver and not a trailer queen. Now my original car was a plain jane 350 but I want to do this up as if they had build SS427's in 1970. Or SS454...

To expand the pool of cars to shop for this project I was wondering:

1) The 69 and 70 Custom Coupe models seem to share pretty much everything the same except bumpers and minor badging/trim. Am I correct that if a good 69 were available I could build it out as a 1970? The sheet metal is the same, right?

2) Kind of the same question about either a 69/70 Caprice.

Looking to make this modern on the inside (crate 427, tremec 6spd, upgraded suspension, maybe even an Art Morrison frame) but dressed our as 1970 SS427/SS454 Impala Custom Coupe.

Getting a 69 with manual and console already in it would make the project a lot easier if all I need do is swap out bumpers/badging etc.

Any thoughts or advice, greatly appreciated.

Z

BTW - Triple Black.

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts
New to the group, glad to see so many Impala enthusiasts out there.

I have a couple questions (which will lead to thousands more I expect). I've gotten the bug to buy and restore/restomod a 1970 Impala Custom Coupe. Mostly because it was by first car. I understand it's not the most collectable model and I don't care to get my money back out of it. When I pull the trigger it will be a full resto, best I can afford and I plan to keep it until they bury me in it. It will be a daily driver and not a trailer queen. Now my original car was a plain jane 350 but I want to do this up as if they had build SS427's in 1970. Or SS454...

To expand the pool of cars to shop for this project I was wondering:

1) The 69 and 70 Custom Coupe models seem to share pretty much everything the same except bumpers and minor badging/trim. Am I correct that if a good 69 were available I could build it out as a 1970? The sheet metal is the same, right?

2) Kind of the same question about either a 69/70 Caprice.

Looking to make this modern on the inside (crate 427, tremec 6spd, upgraded suspension, maybe even an Art Morrison frame) but dressed our as 1970 SS427/SS454 Impala Custom Coupe.

Getting a 69 with manual and console already in it would make the project a lot easier if all I need do is swap out bumpers/badging etc.

Any thoughts or advice, greatly appreciated.

Z

BTW - Triple Black.

DAYYYYUM!!!! Welcome!!! :beer: I'm JEALOUS already! They did make a 69SS 427. But I think that was the last year for the Impala SS until 94. Whatever you do, don't forget to post PICS!!!!:eek:k3: LOTS of PICS!!! :lol:

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
welcome

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Welcome! I'm eager to see pics too, keep us posted!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts