Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I've got some questions for you about a 1968 impala fastback. I bought it a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't running at all, it has pretty much sat in a field in Colorado for the past 20 years (Springs inside brake drums literally disintegrated on me when I was rebuilding them). I have since replaced the fuel sender, fuel pump, new tank (pretty bad rusting on the top), the fuel lines and fuel filter. Spark plugs and distributor cap and rotor were also replaced. With all of that I was able to get the car to finally crank and start. It runs fine at idle but my issue is that when i try to shift it into a gear (Reverse or Drive) it will completely die on me. It wont even struggle when it catches the load, just a quick shut off. Do you guys have any suggestions for me?? My first assumption is that i have a vacuum leak somewhere, I changed out the transmission modulator for a new one and replaced the line going to it and still nothing. I also tried to rich up the choke and increase the idle RPM to see if that would at least let it catch the load but nothing as well.

I'm thinking that i need to replace the vacuum advance on the distributor (Just found the right one so I'll replace that and find out.) Not sure if the EGR valve would cause a stall when shifting into gears but that is definitely bad (waiting on it in the mail). My last option would be to replace the carburetor (Rochester 2 Jet).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts