Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1967 Chevy Impala with a 327 that my uncle bought new and kept it in a garage all of its life (20k miles on it). My uncle recently passed away and left the car to me so I decided to clean it up and get it running again, as it hadn't been started in roughly 5 years. The factory carb was a clogged useless mess so I replaced it with a Holly 4 barrel (I forget what Holly it is specifically) and an adapter plate. It ran great for a while until I figured out the heater core was basically destroyed and leaking everywhere. I had to leave it alone for a while (roughly 6 months) due to financial issues but I finally replaced the core and now it doesn't start. I did some investigating and figured out it doesn't pull gas. I've tried plugging a new fuel line into the pump and running it into a gas can, and replacing the fuel pump. It does crank but won't start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Does the fuel pump push gas into the gas can when you put a new line on and cranked the engine?

What type of fuel pump? Did the new pump push gas into the can? When you removed the old fuel pump, did the fuel pump armature push rod fall out? If so, did you replace it?

Is any gas getting to the new carburetor? Does the new carburetor have a bronze or paper fuel filter?

With everything connected, the air cleaner off - and the car outside with a fire extinguisher nearby, have you tried using starter fluid to see if the engine will fire briefly?

What condition was the fuel tank and fuel that was in it?

A lot of questions - but all relevant to the problem.

PS - My first car when I was young was a 1965 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 2-door.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I was going to respond, but the reply above just about covered it all.

Keep us posted on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The fuel pump doesn't seem to push gas back into the can, as far as I can tell it does absolutely nothing. I put a inline filter just so I could see if anything was happening but the gas doesn't even reach that (its roughly 3-4 inches outside the lip of the can).

The armature rod is (I'm assuming) the rod that connects to a mech fuel pump where it connects to the engine right? If it is, it was still there when I replaced the fuel pump.

Gas isn't reaching the carb, I'm not actually certain of what kind of filter the carb has on it, I'll try and find the box the carb came in maybe that will explain where my inexperience fails.

I have tried starter fluid but I just get a noise like it is about to start but then failed after half a second.

The tank was emptied before it was parked so I don't think there is an issue there, but what is a good way to test the tank just in-case I got some bad info on how it was left a few years ago?

I just noticed today that on the new carb there is another nozzle (where I assume a fuel line would connect to on another vehicle) that had a little rubber cover on it, but the rubber had deteriorated to the point that it wasn't holding pressure anymore. Could that be an issue? I'm going to try and get something to block the nozzle just in case that is a problem.

·
Registered
553 Posts
If you are getting good fuel to the Fuel Pump, but no fuel pumping after the Fuel Pump, it has to be the Fuel Pump.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The fuel pump doesn't run off of a push rod, it has an arm which rides on the cam. The arm goes on top of the follower. It is possible to put the pump in with the arm under the follower which means no gas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts