Impala Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1967 Belair with the 3 speed Column Shift Manual. I was able to shift freely through the gears at first, but after only a few short drives, on bumpy roads, the linkages seemed to have bounced around out of alignment. I have looked everywhere to find literature, diagrams, or videos on how to properly adjust them. The only video I found was of a Chevy truck with a similar setup, but the adjustment is quite different. If anyone has experience with these, and cares to share, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Below is a picture of what my setup looks like:

·
Registered
689 Posts
With the Trans in Neutral, make sure the Shifter Levers pictured are in line with each other. If not, re-adjust them to be exactly even. On your car it looks like the adjustments are made on the bottom side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, when in neutral everything seems lined up fine, and I can run through the gears easily at the selector under the hood. I believe there is something not functioning within the column itself. From the shift lever on the column coming down to the selector.

I haven't opened it up yet, in hopes of there being a way to test, adjust, or repair it without tearing into the column.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sounds like something might have broke inside the column. There are no adjustments in there, although taking it apart could tell what is wrong with it. Unless you have an original car that you want to keep all original, you may want to consider a Hurst floor shift.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eh, the car is pretty rough & rusty, so I'm not too concerned with keeping it OG. Is converting a column shift to floor shift without swapping trans pretty common?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yeah, no problem. Just make sure you get a shifter that is the correct application for your car with the 3-Speed trans.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As neat and unique as having it in the column is, I would not hate the user friendly floor shifter. I only have a driver's seat right now anyways. 🤣 I'm gonna looks and see what's out there as far as conversion kits. If I switch it will be a little ways down the road I'm sure. I'm trying to put as little money as I can into it for now.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have a 1967 Belair with the 3 speed Column Shift Manual. I was able to shift freely through the gears at first, but after only a few short drives, on bumpy roads, the linkages seemed to have bounced around out of alignment. I have looked everywhere to find literature, diagrams, or videos on how to properly adjust them. The only video I found was of a Chevy truck with a similar setup, but the adjustment is quite different. If anyone has experience with these, and cares to share, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Below is a picture of what my setup looks like:

View attachment 164678

My first car at age 16 was a 1965 Chevrolet Chevrolet Malibu 2-door with the 3-speed, manual shift transmission - with the column shift.

If I shifted the lever too fast, the shift mechanism you pictured would get out of alignment, and I could not shift.

I would stop in neutral and pull the lower lever (show on the left side of your picture). That would “reconnect” the linkage and it would then return to the shifting position.

Although the car had very low miles on it when I bought it, the shift linkage was always sloppy and not smooth.

Relocate the blue wire and move the sheathed-cable.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hurst makes the best ones
As neat and unique as having it in the column is, I would not hate the user friendly floor shifter. I only have a driver's seat right now anyways. 🤣 I'm gonna looks and see what's out there as far as conversion kits. If I switch it will be a little ways down the road I'm sure. I'm trying to put as little money as I can into it for now.
Hurst makes the best ones, but check on some other brands for a cheaper price. You may even find a good used one somewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I had that happen to me twice when learning to use the column shift, but I got better at sticking to the "H" pattern. The shifter linkage (on the motor side of the firewall) seems to be lined up correctly.

I believe there there is some kind of disconnect or misalignment within the column that is affecting the shift. It's like the friction of the selector on the arms is overcoming the parts in the column and when you move the shifter, it is t enough to move the selector. If that makes sense.

My plan is to attempt to open up the column, and hopefully be able to diagnose, if not repair the trouble. I'm hoping it's as simple as some lubrications and realignment.

The only issue I had with the car previously, was it wouldn't stay in 2nd gear unless I held it in place, which was a ever an issue, cause I was never in 2nd gear very long.

It also has the OD unit, but I have it locked out at the moment, just cause it wouldn't be helpful to have just yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts