Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a 1966 Caprice. At some point the front brakes were upgraded to discs. The car recently had one of the front wheel bearings go bad. I hit every parts site on Google and was unsuccessful in finding the correct parts. Anyone have any guesses as to the year parts I should look at or common donors? Picture included. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
My buddy has a 1966 Caprice. At some point the front brakes were upgraded to discs. The car recently had one of the front wheel bearings go bad. I hit every parts site on Google and was unsuccessful in finding the correct parts. Anyone have any guesses as to the year parts I should look at or common donors? Picture included. Thanks!
I don't think front disk brakes were an option in 66, so the spindle/steering knuckle come from some other model. I would try scouring it for a part number. With that, the online GM parts sites can link it to 1 or more models. In turn, with the model info, one should be able to get a bearing that fits.

It's a circuitous process, but, without more info for the spindle, I don't know how else to proceed.

From the looks of it, hitting the knuckle with a wire brush may be necessary to reveal any stampings on it.

Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doug, that is most likely the best course of action. I am just hopeful there is that true Chevy/gm guru that can take one look at the pic and point me in a better direction. Between location and corona we are avoiding taking stuff apart at this point. If that becomes the only option, it's going to have to be the way. Thanks for the suggestion and your time.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Doug, that is most likely the best course of action. I am just hopeful there is that true Chevy/gm guru that can take one look at the pic and point me in a better direction. Between location and corona we are avoiding taking stuff apart at this point. If that becomes the only option, it's going to have to be the way. Thanks for the suggestion and your time.
There are a couple guys who post here that may know a likely part used for upgrading.

I know, a year or two later, B-bodies could be had with front disks. I'm pretty sure my dad's 68 Delmont 88 had them.

What's not clear is what all parts are affected by the change to disk brakes. Is it just the knuckle/spindle? Or is a different control arm needed to mate with the new knuckle?

Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before he or I do anything we are reaching out to the previous owner. Hopefully they can steer us in a spot on direction or put us in contact with who did the conversion. I will continue to research with your guidance suggested. Thanks again.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Disc Brakes were not available till '67 and they were the less favorable 2-Piston. Single Piston was out in '69. Not sure what you have there. I don't recognize it as '69 or '70. Could be a kit, or something someone put together. I would try to find a name or numbers on them as Doug has mentioned, if no one else jumps in with some better info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the hub and rotor are one piece, it's a 69-70 setup. Easy way to get bearings is to take old ones out, there should be numbers on them. Seal too

·
Registered
569 Posts
Now that I take a second look, I say aftermarket. Look at the back side of the Hub. It has what looks like 10 Holes. Original Hubs would only have 5.

Good point on the Bearings though if you keep this set-up. Check the Bearings for Numbers as Dmorgan has indicated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts