Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks! i recently had the the privilege of purchasing a piece of automotive history, a 1965 impala Super Sport Coupe... in pretty good condition and now i am in the process of doing some factory style upgrades and wanted to know if the PASSENGER side rear view mirror was standard or was it an option in 1965? the reason i ask is because the impala that i bought has only a driver side mirror. I would greatly appreciate if anyone knows the answer to that, it would be a great help to me THANKS

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Hey folks! i recently had the the privilege of purchasing a piece of automotive history, a 1965 impala Super Sport Coupe... in pretty good condition and now i am in the process of doing some factory style upgrades and wanted to know if the PASSENGER side rear view mirror was standard or was it an option in 1965? the reason i ask is because the impala that i bought has only a driver side mirror. I would greatly appreciate if anyone knows the answer to that, it would be a great help to me THANKS
Sounds like a fun car. Hope you enjoy it.

There are RPO codes for left, right and both mirrors. So, if you can find the RPO code list, you might be able to determine what the original configuration was. For example, DBG is left, DBH is right, and DBI is both. If your car did have both originally, the listed codes might be both DBG and DBH, or it may just list DBI. That is, from the RPO code lists I've seen, they might do it either way.

Anyway, I'm not sure where on a 65 the sticker would be, if they even used them back then. But if you could find the "Service Parts Identification" sticker, that might be a good step. Glove box, trunk lid and spare tire well are common locations.

All that said, it wouldn't surprise me if the car did not have a right side mirror - they were pretty scarce back then.

Doug

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Congrats and welcome! Are there any signs on the pass. door indicating there may have been a mirror?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats and welcome! Are there any signs on the pass. door indicating there may have been a mirror?
Thank You, nothing on the Outside gives any indication, i might have to take the door panel off to see the metal underneath to check for any signs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a fun car. Hope you enjoy it.

There are RPO codes for left, right and both mirrors. So, if you can find the RPO code list, you might be able to determine what the original configuration was. For example, DBG is left, DBH is right, and DBI is both. If your car did have both originally, the listed codes might be both DBG and DBH, or it may just list DBI. That is, from the RPO code lists I've seen, they might do it either way.

Anyway, I'm not sure where on a 65 the sticker would be, if they even used them back then. But if you could find the "Service Parts Identification" sticker, that might be a good step. Glove box, trunk lid and spare tire well are common locations.

All that said, it wouldn't surprise me if the car did not have a right side mirror - they were pretty scarce back then.

Doug

Thank You so much, i truly appreciate the info i WILL!! look for that RPO code list before i continue on putting on anymore factory upgrades

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Thank You so much, i truly appreciate the info i WILL!! look for that RPO code list before i continue on putting on anymore factory upgrades
Hi, and welcome aboard !

Since posting that, I've found one website which indicates the Service Parts Identification sticker only dates back to 1985, but I know the RPOs go back much further.

So you may not find a sticker, however you might find some other paper work in the car. I found assembly papers under the rear seat, for example, on my 66 Caprice, as I recall.

That said, I've heard there are ways of getting build sheets from Detroit, but I'm not sure how that works (other than submitting the VIN). It may not explicitly list the RPOs, but I would expect the build sheet to include some sort of info about the right side mirror.

Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts