Impala Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
What about the pational valve? I dont know if im saying that right or not?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Actually better choice is 68-82 Corvette spindles are better choice.
For the front.
As for the rears as long as you have 4 bolt GM housing ends just bolt on a set of 98-05 S10-Blazer rear disc.
You can use either 2 wd or 4wd set up.
The 1st and second gen F body can also use them, Staggered shock cars have to use two of one side, 4wd I think but dont hold me too that.
I have acquired a set of 4wd backing plates with bad shoes and the sheet metal backing plates are rusted off. Lucky me I found new sheet metal backing plates and shoes.
Looks like a direct bolt on and after seeing a guy having installed C3 Vette rear brakes I see the S10/Blazer brakes put the calipers in same place.
At least 4wd brackets do. Gotta do some research and measuring, but all things look much better.
I do know that from where bracket for caliper mounts to backing mount to axle face is around 4 inches.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Rebelrouser

I bought a set of 1980 Vette brakes some time ago for the conversion, but haven't started collecting parts for the rear as I wasn't sure which way to go with those. Until now.

I'm interested in anything you have to share in terms of advice and pictures. I can't PM my e-mail to you until I have two posts, but feel free to PM me so I can send you my e-mail address.

Question:
I understand why you use two RH sets of parts, but why not use L & R and adjust the e-brake cable to accommodate the setup?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The reason I used 2 RH is because it was what I had to work with at the time and I was trying to duplicate what GM did on the Camaro in '69 and I wanted a fully functional 4 corner 4 piston caliper brake set up. The process was real easy once I figured out all the mounting brackets and how everything works. It all depends on what look you are trying to achieve- OEM '68 and older brakes that look dealer installed or any generic brake kit that everyone does. I did it to be different and yes they got noticed.

I do have a freshly rebuilt JL-8 clone 12 bolt sitting here-for sale- that I used as a template for my rear disc brake installation on my '66 "B" body. Keep in mind that in order for this set up to work it has to be installed on a "B" body 10/12 bolt. That's how GM did it in '69- they used the "B" body axle tubes and pressed them into the "F" body 12 bolts to accommodate the C3 rear brakes. I have done extensive research so that this does work. The stopping power will really surprise you. And like I said, everything is available over the counter for '65-'82 'Vette.

If you have any questions-pm me....

Cheers,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here are some pictures of the conversion I made for my 1965.....My car had drums all the way around...... I used front Calipers and rotors from a 2000 Z28 and on the back disc I used 2000 Olds Brivada calipers and rotors for a '1992 Z28.. I had to make all the brackets and such. It took me some time and a lot of measuring, but they work great, and use all GM parts.... Sorry I didn't have more pics of the rear brakes.... My car has a 9" ford rear end in it and the caliper brackets I made also double as the bearing retaining plates...

Just to clarify, you used factory drum brake spindles?

Anyone seen anybody adapt the 4th gen Camro brake calipers to stock Impala disc brake spindles? I have a pair of these calipers and would like to use them on my 1970 build.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Anyone seen anybody adapt the 4th gen Camro brake calipers to stock Impala disc brake spindles? I have a pair of these calipers and would like to use them on my 1970 build.
4th Gen calipers are very weak and flex a lot.
The preferable caliper same as Fbody, are C5-C6 calipers, and if you buy rebuilt ones just drop Fbody ones in box for cores.

But for the 65-70 B body my professional opinion is use the 68-82 Corvette parts (C3) as the rebuilder parts are solid parts if obtained from reputable rebuilders.
Or you could buy Vette spindles, and one of the upgrade C3 Corvette brakes from aftermarket.

Reason to NOT use the Bcar parts from 67-70 is the lack of replacement parts over more preferable and available Corvette parts.

·
Registered
30 Posts

yes sir, drum spindles and hubs

·
Registered
2 Posts
65 Disc Brakes

Hi!
Did you CNC cut your brackets?

Here are some pictures of the conversion I made for my 1965.....My car had drums all the way around...... I used front Calipers and rotors from a 2000 Z28 and on the back disc I used 2000 Olds Brivada calipers and rotors for a '1992 Z28.. I had to make all the brackets and such. It took me some time and a lot of measuring, but they work great, and use all GM parts.... Sorry I didn't have more pics of the rear brakes.... My car has a 9" ford rear end in it and the caliper brackets I made also double as the bearing retaining plates...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi!
Did you CNC cut your brackets?
No sir, I didn't have that luxury. I just scribed them out and used a band saw and a manual vertical mill to cut the reliefs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice job!!
Did you keep your template?
I would like to ask for a copy if you have?

Bjorn

No sir, I didn't have that luxury. I just scribed them out and used a band saw and a manual vertical mill to cut the reliefs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nice job!!
Did you keep your template?
I would like to ask for a copy if you have?

Bjorn
I don't have one for the front brakes, but I do for the back, unfortunately it's for a big bearing end Ford 9" because that's what I put under my Impala.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The reason I used 2 RH is because it was what I had to work with at the time and I was trying to duplicate what GM did on the Camaro in '69 and I wanted a fully functional 4 corner 4 piston caliper brake set up. The process was real easy once I figured out all the mounting brackets and how everything works. It all depends on what look you are trying to achieve- OEM '68 and older brakes that look dealer installed or any generic brake kit that everyone does. I did it to be different and yes they got noticed.

I do have a freshly rebuilt JL-8 clone 12 bolt sitting here-for sale- that I used as a template for my rear disc brake installation on my '66 "B" body. Keep in mind that in order for this set up to work it has to be installed on a "B" body 10/12 bolt. That's how GM did it in '69- they used the "B" body axle tubes and pressed them into the "F" body 12 bolts to accommodate the C3 rear brakes. I have done extensive research so that this does work. The stopping power will really surprise you. And like I said, everything is available over the counter for '65-'82 'Vette.

If you have any questions-pm me....

Cheers,
Finally got around to doing my 65. I've held onto this thread for some time.

I have the front spindles and hubs. When Moser built my Diff, I mentioned that I was planning on C3 brakes. They said that was good to know, because they made the axles to fit the brake.

Attachments

41 - 54 of 54 Posts