Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the site, hello all! Question.....I recently purchased a 1965 Impala bare bones original everything. I live in Michigan and this car was from Alabama, we don't see them this clean around these parts. It has the 327, 2 speed power glide now with only 24k original miles (matching numbers). The guy I bought the car from threw in a 454 block, heads, and crankshaft, dipped and ready to be built......and a T400 trans. My dilemma is do I keep it original? Do I put the 454 and T400 in it and sell the stock engine trans? (from what I have read converting to a 454 is kind of a pain) Do I keep the 327 since it only has 24k on it and put the T400 in? I am not a fan of the 2 speed power glide but would it be best if everything matched as far as originality? My plan was to sell whatever I didn't use to help fund restoration. Opinions are greatly appreciated. One more thing, The 454 and turbo 400 are out of a 71 chevelle.:dizzy:

·
Premium Member
18,506 Posts
Moving this to 1-5th Gen. Impala thread.

·
Still Plays with Cars
282 Posts
What do you want to do ? Its your car. The 454 will sit on the 327 frame mounts. You will have to move the trans cross member back. You will need all new brackets,pulleys and radiator. What rear end do you have, 10 or 12 bolt, how many upper control arms in the rear suspension? Are you still running drum brakes with the single master cyl. A lot of things to consider.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.....I think I have decided to keep everything as original as possible. The 454 block, heads and crank and the t400 aren't worth enough to justify selling them (correct me if im wrong but Crank will get about $400, trans $400, heads $300, and the 454 block around $1000, everything has been gone through and is in plastic, been dipped and pressure tested and ready to go) I will probably keep them and run the 327/PG until one or the other goes or until I get the itch to tear it back down. I am thinking it would be a shame to separate the eng/trans from the original car when it is barely broke in and there are not many 65's that have the matching numbers out there anymore. This is my first to the frame restore so I think I'll keep it simple this time around.

·
Still Plays with Cars
282 Posts
On your 454, I would assemble it and sell it whole. That way you wont get stuck with anything. As a buyer I would rather buy a complete engine. Big block Chevy's sell well. Advertise it over at the Chevelle forms but don't cut yourself short. I think you made a wise decision keeping your car driveline original. I'm still running original driveline in both my 65's. I drove the convertible from Dayton , Ohio to Daytona ,Florida and back last year with absolutely no problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What does an entire built 454 with the t400 go for? Craigslist or ebay is not a good source to sell? I Know the engine/trans came out of a 71' chevelle and are the same eng/trans that that chevelle rolled off the assembly line with. Does matching eng/trans bring more value?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Go to some Chevelle site's, that is where you will get the best $$$. Yes, the matching combo will matter to the right buyer...I.E. Someone with a '71 that was a BB, and had a SB put in when the the BB blew-up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Original #'s matching car would probably be worth more. Maybe you could store the original drivetrain/parts if you swapped over. Unless the car is rare, do what feels right to you, friend. It is simply a matter of taste. I, personally, would keep the original engine/trans.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I know a fellow with a 67 that has all original parts with low miles. He did pull both the engine, transmission, rear axle and disabled the OEM speedometer which all have low miles. He installed a 454 with TH 400 and a universal speedometer, he also lowered the car but kept all the original parts so if he ever decides he is done with it he can restore it back as the factory had built it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts