Impala Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am toying with the idea of rebuilding the stock motor in my '63 Impala SS. Does anyone have any advice as far as a direction to go in regarding performance on a budget? I am looking to do the work myself, so that will be a savings, but as far as defining what gets upgraded (cam, pistons, heads, intake, carb, etc) and what to upgrade to (how much to bore over, makes, models, specs) I am looking for help in this area. The overall goal for me is improved performance.

Also....as I said, the car is a 283ci car with a Powerglide 2 speed automatic transmission. From a stop in 2nd gear (Drive), it seems a bit sluggish, but then again it's almost 50 years old. If I start out in 1st gear and punch it, it gets up and goes, but it's still lacking power. In either gear, once I get up to about 25-30 miles per hour, it has no issues at all. Is this just a product of a relatively small motor in a 3,500 lb car with a two speed tranny? I've read a bit about how the small block chevy in general is a good motor and has alot of options as far as tuning and and aftermarket performance products, which is why I'm thinking it might be time to do a rebuild and upgrade some key items.

Any help would be appreciated, and once I start the build, pics will be posted,
:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Motor rebuild.

Any help would be appreciated, and once I start the build, pics will be posted,
:cool:[/QUOTE]

Hi.
There have been volumes written on building a small block Chevy, so pick up a few books, magazines etc to get some ideas. Then it becomes a personal decision on how stock or original to keep the car. A lot of guys will just tell you to get a 350, but everyone does that.

You could get a bunch more horsepower easily with that motor, and it would be a bit more unique.You could build it with the same specs as a 283 Corvette and have a nice reliable motor. GM spent millions developing motors with good performance, reliability and driveability. Just look up the specs, pick up the parts and find a good machine shop.

Replacing the Powerglide with a Turbo-350 would help tremendously as well. I did it on my Impala, and it was well worth it. Its a direct swap with only minor linkage and cooling line changes.

Hope this helps,
John

·
Registered
71 Posts
use a 327 crank and a 327 350 hp cam out of a 63 corvette you will love the power and still have the stock look. plus its like having a stroker. :biggrin: there alot of things to do with it. 283 motor is very good motor just little add on's and game on 5.0 mustangs with frown. :tongue: if you need anything else just ask or call me at 269-762-2869 ive done it and its awsome.

hope this helps more.
mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.