Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am toying with the idea of rebuilding the stock motor in my '63 Impala SS. Does anyone have any advice as far as a direction to go in regarding performance on a budget? I am looking to do the work myself, so that will be a savings, but as far as defining what gets upgraded (cam, pistons, heads, intake, carb, etc) and what to upgrade to (how much to bore over, makes, models, specs) I am looking for help in this area. The overall goal for me is improved performance.

Also....as I said, the car is a 283ci car with a Powerglide 2 speed automatic transmission. From a stop in 2nd gear (Drive), it seems a bit sluggish, but then again it's almost 50 years old. If I start out in 1st gear and punch it, it gets up and goes, but it's still lacking power. In either gear, once I get up to about 25-30 miles per hour, it has no issues at all. Is this just a product of a relatively small motor in a 3,500 lb car with a two speed tranny? I've read a bit about how the small block chevy in general is a good motor and has alot of options as far as tuning and and aftermarket performance products, which is why I'm thinking it might be time to do a rebuild and upgrade some key items.

Any help would be appreciated, and once I start the build, pics will be posted,
:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Motor rebuild.

Any help would be appreciated, and once I start the build, pics will be posted,
:cool:[/QUOTE]

Hi.
There have been volumes written on building a small block Chevy, so pick up a few books, magazines etc to get some ideas. Then it becomes a personal decision on how stock or original to keep the car. A lot of guys will just tell you to get a 350, but everyone does that.

You could get a bunch more horsepower easily with that motor, and it would be a bit more unique.You could build it with the same specs as a 283 Corvette and have a nice reliable motor. GM spent millions developing motors with good performance, reliability and driveability. Just look up the specs, pick up the parts and find a good machine shop.

Replacing the Powerglide with a Turbo-350 would help tremendously as well. I did it on my Impala, and it was well worth it. Its a direct swap with only minor linkage and cooling line changes.

Hope this helps,
John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback John.

·
Registered
71 Posts
use a 327 crank and a 327 350 hp cam out of a 63 corvette you will love the power and still have the stock look. plus its like having a stroker. :biggrin: there alot of things to do with it. 283 motor is very good motor just little add on's and game on 5.0 mustangs with frown. :tongue: if you need anything else just ask or call me at 269-762-2869 ive done it and its awsome.

hope this helps more.
mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone done this before? Do you need to replace valve springs etc. or do any other work? Is it really that simple or are you just building an unpredictable hand grenade????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts