Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1963 Impala SS. It has a all cast iron 350 with aluminum intake non A/C car, 4 Speed Muncie. Front Springs are new 327 With A/C (non A/C car). I wanted it a little higher in the front. I have all the shims out and I still need another 1/2" to 3/4" of caster camber. I tried upper ball joint spacers (they used them years ago for more travel on the front end for racing) and it was about 2" more than I needed (the spacers are 4 1/4" tall).
Does anyone know of any longer ball joints available, or some other idea that will give me my caster camber adjustment back. Someone suggested pulling the frame at a frame shop, I do not want to do this. I do have tubular A arms too (the adjustment was the same with the factory A arms). We looked at extending the upper A arms, but it will not work.
Thanks for any ideas, Mark

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
You could always look for longer ball joints at your local auto parts store or get the size and pitch of the threads on the ball joint and attach some coupling nuts and threaded rod to extend them.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
You could always look for longer ball joints at your local auto parts store or get the size and pitch of the threads on the ball joint and attach some coupling nuts and threaded rod to extend them.
:gaah: NO- NOT even try that idea.
Try a rubber spring spacer. they sit in the lower "A " arm spring seat to give you the lift you need. (gm parts should be able to get them in for you or CHEVROLET IMPALA Coil Spring Spacers - SummitRacing.com) There nice and safe.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
He needs to extend his ball joints, not raise his suspension...

Grade 8 or higher coupling nuts shouldn't be a problem.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Yes, but ball joints HAVE to seat! If you try that, you will destroy the ball joint, and the a arm. To me, the obvious solution is to switch back to stock springs. It obviously wasn't meant to sit that high.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts