Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hvae a 63 Impala 4dr with a 283 engine and a powerglide. I have't began to work on it but am planning to. I want a better fuel efficiant more stronger engine. I was wondering if I a LS1 and a 4L60E transmission would be good for my project.
Would I have to do major modifications to the car.
Also would it be hard to get cruse control on that car.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sure, it shouldn't be too hard to up-grade to the later model LS1/4L60E combo. Just make sure you get the wiring harness and computer out of the donor car. To go w/ the newly up-graded engine/tranny combo.

As for the cruise control, you can pick up an aftermarket cruise control from JC Whitney or someplace like that for the Impala.

Good luck!
Btw, nice ride, I had one those(in a 4dr thro, I'd perfer it been a 2dr) for my second car.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will be very straight forward as long as you know what you are going. As essentially it is the same basic block, everything will be bolted in withfactory parts. The cruise will work with the computer. The biggest changes you probably have to make are driveshaft (shorter?) and transmission linkage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
essentially it is the same basic block
About the only same thing is the bellhousing pattern , and even then a bolt is deleted and a bolt added . You can make old trannies fit though .

Heads , blocks , front accessory drive , oil pans , everything is different on ls1 style motors .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts