Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm about 1 month away from picking my 63 Impala SS up from my father in law's in Abilene, TX. About 30 minutes after I get it home, my wife will be a Chevy widow, I'm sure.

I have a question about license plates. In 1963, California issued the black plates with yellow letters/numbers. My car has modern Texas plates, which will be replaced, but I'd like to get original era plates. I've seen a few sites that sell them....hell, I've even seen pairs for sale at swap meets. Can I buy my own (as long as they've been cleared from the DMV database) or does the DMV support classic car owners by issuing original era plates? If so, how much do they rape you for? And if they do issue them, can they be personalized?

I'd hate to spend a few bucks for a decent set only to find that the DMV won't honor them...Any advice?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey all,

I'm about 1 month away from picking my 63 Impala SS up from my father in law's in Abilene, TX. About 30 minutes after I get it home, my wife will be a Chevy widow, I'm sure.

I have a question about license plates. In 1963, California issued the black plates with yellow letters/numbers. My car has modern Texas plates, which will be replaced, but I'd like to get original era plates. I've seen a few sites that sell them....hell, I've even seen pairs for sale at swap meets. Can I buy my own (as long as they've been cleared from the DMV database) or does the DMV support classic car owners by issuing original era plates? If so, how much do they rape you for? And if they do issue them, can they be personalized?

I'd hate to spend a few bucks for a decent set only to find that the DMV won't honor them...Any advice?
Attention to detail I see!!!!:biggrin: I have Original 63 texas plates on both cars i have!!!

As far as I know no they do not support the classic car owners, you will have to find a decent set, maybe find a fully restored ready to be installed pair at the swapmeet or you could find some originals and restore them yourself... Good luck!!!!! and make sure to post pics on here when you receive the car!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Original Plates

Beautiful ride. I have a black 63 SS, hope to post some pictures soon. I just brought my 63 from California to Texas a year ago, not long before you came here to pick yours up! I saved my original 63 California black and yellow plates, and I even have the smaller set (with the same numbers) that go on a key ring. These were provided by the dealer when you bought the car, and my grandfather bought it new. If I ever move back to California I will re-install the original plates. What I learned when I registered mine in California after transferring it from my Grandfater after his passing, is that you can find your own older plates, and as long as they are in good condition, the DMV will approve them. Make sure they are in good shape, the DMV will run the numbers too, so if there is any history on them (bad history) there could be an issue. Otherwise you should be able to get them approved and registered. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts