Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just got a 1962 impala sport sedan with no post, but then someone threw a brick through the windshield. So now in addition to a few other parts I need a windshield. I have been looking online, but am curious if people can recommend some specific companies to get parts from.
The specific parts I am looking for to get it drivable for the summer are
Windshield
Driver side front window
Front grille (center section only)
Passenger side quarter panel
Heater core

·
Registered
8 Posts
Windshield

Look in your local phone booke for glass installers. If you have never installed one before I would suggest letting them do it. Curved glass and hard to reinstall chrome can be a pain.

-C-

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah Man Thos Old Winshileds Have To Be Slapped In And I Have Cracked A Couple Myself Trying To Install Them. Also The Side Windos Have The Chrome Trim Around Them Which Can Also Be A Pain. As For The Other Stuff The Heater Core Should Be Attainable @ The Local Parts Store. As For The Quarters And Grill Try Year One, Classic Chevy International Or Impala Bobs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Be careful!

Many of your local glass installers are used to newer cars and quickie insurance jobs. Try to find one who knows (and loves!) the older classics. I had a "reputable" (came with recommendations from friends) glass company put in the front and back glass in my '62 when I was doing a frame off. I handed them the new rubber and the glass (I had carefully removed). They did the assembly. Looked OK when I picked it up, but first rain proved otherwise :(. I ended up taking out the glass only to find they did not use any "black goo" and just put the glass in dry and popped the trim back on. I consulted with some other shops, most of whom did not want to touch the project, but offered advise and two tubes of the black sealant. I ended up doing it right myself with the help of friends. It's not that difficult when you realize they had maybe a few minutes on the production line (back in 1962) and you have all evening!

Good luck!
Tom Kochtanek

1 - 4 of 4 Posts