Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My retired father-in-law has a 1961 Impala that he just started restoring.

He knows his stuff when it comes to cars but not so much when it comes to the internet. He is really struggling to look up information online.

Where can I buy a comprehensive parts catalog for a '61 Impala?

My plan is he can identify the parts he needs old-school-style using a printed manual and then I can help him find those parts online.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Call Hubbard's Impala in NC. There are also some other good vendors out there, Classic Industries in CA, Cars Inc in MI are a couple of others.

For a GM Parts Manual, research one online for a '61 Chevrolet.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
2009 Impala SS
1,506 Posts
Keith Seymore is a member of several of the Chevy truck forums. He was a supervisor on the Flint MI assembly line making Chevy trucks from sometime in the 70's or 80's til he retired recently.
This is what he had to say about the escaped assembly documentation he has seen.
"We called them PADs (Product Assembly Documents) or later on PDMs (Product Description Manuals). We still use them, even today, although they are an electronic version.

I also see them from time to time on ebay or other book places.

I (personally) don't have any old ones, as we used to throw them away when we were done with them.... "
---Keith Seymore

Search eBay with the strings "1962 Chevrolet parts and accessories" and "1962 Chevrolet Body Parts Catalog"

If you can stand electronic versions. Ian Harding put together a searchable collection of parts book scans from various sources. GMPARTSWIKI.COM
I donated my scans of the 1973-1993 GM CK RV D G P M ST body light truck parts books. My donation was 10 volumes at around 1,500 pages or more each. GM stopped publishing paper light truck parts manuals in 1993.

Here are GM Parts Wiki links to the title pages of the catalogs that should cover 1961.
1938-1962 Chevrolet parts book

1938-1962 Chevrolet body parts book.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
2009 Impala SS
1,506 Posts
Thank you so much for the great information. Very helpful.
There are a couple parts books up on eBay right now that'll cover the `61 passenger cars but it's best to get em while you can.
The supply can dry up completely without a moments' notice.

If your dad prefers paper I'd keep your eyes open for the '61 Chevrolet Passenger Car Service manual, '61 Chevrolet Passenger Car Wiring manual, and the '61 Chevrolet Unit Repair manual.
Unit repair is things like axles, power steering pumps and boxes, and other larger stuff that's not repaired in the normal every day service. For some reason GM put the transmissions and engines in the service books so it's not easy to figure out their thought process on dividing stuff up.
The original GM wiring books are 11.5"x36" fold out pages in the late 60's through the mid 1980's. By the mid 1990's the wiring was liberally scattered through the service books making chasing a wiring fault all kinds of fun for those of us that love having the whole rig laid out on one sheet. I've never held a 1961 GM wiring book in my hands so I can't guarantee the format they used... but I would bet it's a foldout book.
The Corvair, Corvette, and Light Truck service manuals were separate from the rest of the passenger cars in 1966 but I'm not positive about 1961. Unit repair covers the full lineup.

I try to get the service, unit repair, and wiring manuals for stuff I'm working on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts