Impala Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left Rear Brake and Turn Signals do not work. Brake lights do work. Bulbs are good. 15 amp fuse is good/replaced. Electric grease used on bulbs. Failure was sudden. Working fine before failure.

Troubleshooting help needed!

Thanks,

Keith Dicken
Lillian, AL

·
Super Moderator
10,954 Posts
You say the LR brake light does not work but the brake lights work ?

I'm guess flasher unit or contact in column under the steering wheel.

How are the grounds ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You say the LR brake light does not work but the brake lights work ?

I'm guess flasher unit or contact in column under the steering wheel.

How are the grounds ?
Left rear tail lights work when switched on, but brake and turn signal lights do not. I will replace the flasher unit and see if that is the fix. Where would there be an open ground?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Left rear tail light issues

Thanks for your reply! LR tail lights come on with light switch; however, the brake light and turn signal do not. Good fuse, good bulbs and Right Rear tail light operates normally. I will replace the flasher module to see if that's a fix. If not, where do I check for an open ground? Keith

·
Super Moderator
10,954 Posts
Probably within the light fixture itself. There was a "special" way for the bulb to be put in as well. The pins are offset and on older fixtures they were worn out enough that the bulb would go in "wrong" and give some interesting problems. Park light super bright, turn signal not work etc.

A DVM would be good to use on the rear light fixture as well to see if you are in fact getting good voltage back there. I would use the outer portion of where the bulb goes in for my ground on the DVM and that will tell you if it's a "good ground".
You could also run a jumper wire to the outer portion of where the bulb goes in with one end connected to a "known good" ground and activate the turn signal and then touch the "known good" wire to the outer portion of the bulb socket. If the signal works then the brake light should work as well.
I would check the rear wiring harness where the left and right are joined together as well for abraded wires, poor ground etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts