Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok a strange problem here. My 1960 impala has no brake lights, or back up lights. I changed the fuse (twice) replaced the brake light switch at the peddle and replaced all the bulbs.

Using a tester, I have discovered that I have no power at the Brake/Backup Fuse (they share a fuse) when they key is in the OFF position. When the key is in the ON position i have power at the fuse and at the brake light switch, but still no brake lights or back up lights.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Check the ground. If you lost it, you will not show any power .

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. I don't have a definitive answer. The only place the problem could occur is in the ignition switch maybe? Or no - wait a minute. You're going to think this is crazy. But pull off all the grounding straps and wires. Clean up the surfaces, and put in a fresh - non corroded screw or bolt. It's a cheap and easy place to start.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. I don't have a definitive answer. The only place the problem could occur is in the ignition switch maybe? Or no - wait a minute. You're going to think this is crazy. But pull off all the grounding straps and wires. Clean up the surfaces, and put in a fresh - non corroded screw or bolt. It's a cheap and easy place to start.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm thinking you may have a wire pinched somewhere or a some wires may have broke ( it's almost 50 years old ) I'm replacing all my wires front to back just because of the age and painless wiring has a nice fuse box with alot better protection. I was also thinking the corosion or bad ground as well or broken or disconnected ground strap but I think you would lose more then just the taillights. Question are you blowing fuses or just changing them to see if there is a difference ? :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok im the one that posted this question on Yahoo a week or so ago, how it ended up here, I dont know, but this works :)

I did more testing and here is what I found out.

My tail lights work (both sides), and my blinkers work on one side (driver front and rear work, passenger front work, but the rear passenger do not work). I have no back up or brake lights no matter what.

I changed the fuse twice (wasn't blowing just to see if i had a bad fuse), took a tester to the fuse box and with the key OFF i have no power at the fuse or the brake light switch. When I turn the key to ON I have power at both the fuse and the brake light switch, but still no brake lights.

For the life of me i cannot find a engine to firewall ground strap (350 transplant), Im used to these coming off of the valve cover, but there is nothing. And the single black wire from the batter to the frame is not grounded (this i know i need to do).

My father suggested that it might be the wires that run up the steering column since he had a similar problem with his 64 recently, but im trying to avoid having to get a $125 harness until I know its the problem.

Now im not sure if this is related, or if i just have one nasty wiring gremlin causing my issues. But the guy who owned the car before me had a single wire alternator on the car, the battery never charges (had it tested last week) and can't keep a charge. This all leads me to a possible grounding issue, but Electrical is the area i am the least knowledable in when it comes to car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts